New #12in23 Badge for completing all the things

Yes, everything works perfectly now. Thank you!

1 Like

Well, some time in the course of July, one of my long ago finished and published exercises in C++ , i.e. Simple Linked List which I did in Mechanical March, simply got lost. It’s not showing up in the 12in23 tracker any more, while all other exercises that I solved earlier in C++ still do. Can this be fixed some way? (I already tried out the gear button in the exercise page to republish, but this didn’t change the problem). Thanks for help!

I think the logic is now: either linked list or simple linked list, but not both.

Hmm, there is no Linked List exercise on the C++ track, only a Simple Linked List. And even if there were both, what should I infer from this ‘logic’?

@ErikSchierboom one for you I think.

I don’t know why your Simple Linked List solution has disappeared from the tracker. But the reason why only one of them should be counted is that Simple Linked List was an alternative option for those tracks that haven’t implemented Linked List. This logic previously wasn’t reflected in the tracker, leading to over-counting for people who had completed both exercises (see this thread).

1 Like

This is indeed why we changed the logic. For the badge, you need to have completed either:

• Linked List, Secret Handshake, Sieve, Binary Search and Pangram, or
  • Simple Linked List, Secret Handshake, Sieve, Binary Search and Pangram

Ok, I see. Perhaps I did too many of the linked lists exercises on different tracks and got into the opposite problem of ‘undercounting’ ?
I unpublished the simple linked list exercise from the Rust track (the only language that was also part of Mechanical March, and I hope the doubly linked list exercise is not a problem), but sadly that didn’t change anything. Hmm, how can I get the count right again?
Tracker

I’m sure now that the vanishing of my simple linked list c++ exercise from the 12in23 tracker was triggered by the change on 01/08/23 due to this problem.
I can clearly remember that before I started with the Typescipt exercises for Appy August I had 30/30 on the tracker.
I also read through the code that has changed in the relevant commit, but I’m not really familiar with Ruby (not to mention with the inner workings of Exercism), so I can’t really detect which line may have provoked the counting to go awry. Perhaps an additional test case corresponding to the relevant partial state of my published exercises would fail and one could track down the bug? Should I (or someone else) create an issue for this?

1 Like

I’m coming into this late but, what’s the deal with January? The challenge seems to have properly started in February, does that mean it’s running on to include January next year, or have I just missed anything discussing January?

January counts for the year-long badge, but there was no monthly badge.

1 Like

I did

• Simple Linked List, Secret Handshake, Sieve, Binary Search and Pangram
    in Go and now the simple linked list as disappeared

I only did one of the linked lists

Looking at the data, it looks like the reason is simple: you didn’t publish secret-handshake (at least that is what the data shows me)

Found the bug

PR submitted: Fix 12-in-23 logic by ErikSchierboom · Pull Request #5868 · exercism/website · GitHub

This fixed the issue for me, but I think there’s still another possible loophole: if someone submitted a solution to linked-list before 2023, but in a language authorized for Mechanical March (Go, for example), then a submission of simple-linked-list in 2023 won’t count.

I’ve devised a fix for this. Because I know you do not accept PRs in the website repo, I’ve created a PR in my own fork to showcase it: Fix: ignore linked-list exercises published before 2023 by clechasseur · Pull Request #1 · clechasseur/exercism-website · GitHub

Since this is not a repo you allow outsiders in, feel free to just pilfer whatever you need and implement your own fix, of course. :wink:

1 Like

This fixed it for me. Thank you very much!

1 Like

@iHiD I saw in other posts that others have indeed created PRs in the website repo - in this case, would you like me to submit my PR in your repo for this fix? (I did not want to intrude :smile:)

@clechasseur Feel free :slight_smile: Thank you :blue_heart:

@iHiD PR submitted: Fix: ignore linked-list exercises published before 2023 by clechasseur · Pull Request #5942 · exercism/website (github.com)

1 Like

I’m not sure I get this.

I just completed matching brackets in C++, but it doesn’t appear in my list of completed exercises for this challenge so I’m assuming each exercise has to be solved in a specific language or it won’t count.

But on the other hand some people are saying you can solve the exercises in any language.

I’m confused.