Some details of mentoring session timeouts

I think the ones who can’t do new iterations are using the web site only, no command line. (Only a guess integrated from various memories…)

When a student is using the web site, I believe there are two different user interfaces / ‘places on the site’, one where they are ‘working on exercise X’ and another where they are ‘looking at the mentoring session on exercise X’. Both of these have ‘edit or submit a new iteration’ type buttons; but – I think – these buttons disappear from the mentoring session when it is ‘closed’. And then they may not realize they can get to the same action elsewhere, in the ‘working on exercise X’ section.

=====

I recognize that it is problematic, in a practical sense, that I am doing this without having done much of anything from the student side. It makes me helpless regarding student UI issues. I will eventually remedy this by actually ‘doing’ some of a track … but not today…

@iHiD I ran into this today. A student closed out session f613f1923cbd4330b284f9b95760e82d but wanted to continue the discussion. They sent me a private mentor request, external_requests/26658f0d727846718c83e6334aaeeaeb. When I click “Accept invitation” it forwards me to the prior, closed session, f613f1923cbd4330b284f9b95760e82d. I would expect it to open a new session.

1 Like

Thanks both. I’ll add this to @ErikSchierboom’s todos to check :slight_smile:

I think I have an idea why this is happening.

1 Like

I’ve opened a PR to fix this: Fix accepting external mentoring requests when existing discussion exists by ErikSchierboom · Pull Request #6876 · exercism/website · GitHub

2 Likes