The #12in23 Challenge!

This is an amazing idea! Looking forward to it. I’m not sure if I missed it somewhere but as a part of this challenge, I was hoping for a list of top recommended languages that are most useful to learn as well as links to some recommended resources to learn each of those languages. Can you provide that? Would be a great way to help motivate people to follow through on this!

1 Like

The #12in23 monthly themes are finalized! links to a spreadsheet that lays out which languages are in focus / highlighted in each month.

This depends on, well, you. Maybe someone can tell you, if you tell them about your background, goals, and interests.

This does not yet exist. Feel free to open threads asking for this for individual languages here on the forum.

I don’t think the Exercism staff by itself has enough expertise to provide this. The input of many individuals is needed.

2 Likes

For functional February and Haskell, I can wholeheartedly recommend https://haskell.mooc.fi/. It is such a great course!

4 Likes

Every track has a dedicated page for learning resources.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Javascript - Help with ‘Hello, World’

2 posts were split to a new topic: Picking a Language for Functional Feb #12in23

I hope I won’t have to wait till the end of the year for the badge.

2 Likes

If I understood it correctly, you would have to do some exercises in February to get the Functional Badge.

1 Like

Your next challenge: go beyond 5 exercises to really get a handle on those languages.

2 Likes

Since it sounds like there’s a new badge each month, I have a question. I’ve currently completed 5 of the 12 languages. Will I be able to do more than the 12 in order to get a badge each month? Or have I messed up by trying a few languages in January?

1 Like

You get the badge for doing the featured languages in the featured month, so to get the Functional February badge you need to do 5 exercises in functional languagess during Feb.

So to answer your specific question, you’ll need to do 5 more exercises during Feb for the badge, but you can choose the same languages you’ve already tried in January, as long as they’re in our functional list. But hopefully that’s a fun task not a painful one! :slight_smile:

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess what I mean would be if the languages I’ve already done end up not counting for whatever the categories are in the future, will there be any way to complete the requirements? I am hoping I haven’t made it impossible to complete some of the future challenges.

1 Like

As long as you are not in a situation where you have completed all exercises out of 0-4 for every language in a category so you are fine.

You can find a list here for all the categories: 12in23 - Google Sheets

And I am pretty sure you can have more than 12 languages, you have completed 5 exercises in under a year and still get monthly badges.

1 Like

As Meatball says. e.g. You could already have done 5 exercises in all 66 languages in January, but as long as you do 5 more in a language from each category moving in that month, you’ll still get all the badges.

If you’ve actually completed all exercises in all languages already, I’ll make you your very own one-off badge!! :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve definitely not completed all language tracks. But it’s good to know it will work for the badges. Will the 12 in 23 dashboard show more than 12 languages if I end up doing that?

1 Like

My dashboard is currently showing 15 languages (8 complete, 7 incomplete), so unless it for some odd reason collapses when you complete 12, you should be fine.

I did wonder if there should be a #23in23 follow-up challenge at some point this year, as that seems to be what I’m drifting towards in a chaotic, unfocussed way. I’m not sure I’d recommend it.

More seriously, there may be a growing demand for something beyond #12in23 as more people complete it. The monthly challenges like Functional February go a long way towards this, but there are also the usual answers to the “what next?” question.

• Pick a few languages you like and explore them in more depth: do more exercises, build an app outside Exercism, do mentoring, contribute to building the track…
  • If badges really motivate people (they seem to!), add a broader challenge (like #23in23) or a deeper challenge (#10of12in23?) with more exercises per track. If you want to make it a bit easier, score it like reputation points where meduim/hard exercises count extra.

Or, of course, hope for nice weather and get out more (I should).

1 Like

Good idea. Maybe a legendary badge for completing the track in the calendar month if is has more than, say, 50 exercises.

3 Likes

Wow! Well done! But please try Elixir. It is just so freaking beautiful!

1 Like

@SoldierCoder We’ve got an interview and AMA with Jose Valim (creator of Elixir!) lined up…get it in the diary!

Information is all here - Live interview and AMA with José Valim - Creator of Elixir

— Undeserved Badge —

Dear Jonathan, I’m having a ball with this #12in23 challenge. It’s loads of fun and is bringing me to new languages I wouldn’t otherwise look into!

Unfortunately there may be a bug in the badge counting system. It seems that I’ve been awarded an undeserved badge for I still have only 4 exercises completed in Elixir and I already received a #12in23 Participant badge.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d very much like to earn this badge and I will, but maybe there is something to be amended in the website code.

Most entusiastically,
Diego

P.S. - Check image: