The #12in23 Challenge!

@ErikSchierboom is checking this.

1 Like

Award people an honesty badge for reporting an unearned badge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about one for completing 50 exercises in one track during a given month? And possibly one for completing a track (any track?) in a given month?

1 Like

Whilst I can’t speak for others, I certainly think that the badges are nice (after all we can have immediate ‘bragging rights’ for them) but not the most important feature of this challenge. Thus, I don’t think more difficult challenges will necessarily move a comparable additional audience into using more of Exercism.

Personally I think that the most interesting feature of this challenge is to provide to me (to us, if I may) a guided, somehow curated yet serendipitous collective adventure within Exercism’s contents that I certainly wouldn’t do alone. This ‘safari’ feeling is certainly determinant to my engagement also.

Very much like visiting a vineyard, it feels like I can taste several interesting concepts (vines, cuts, ageing etc) and paradigms while still not feeling that I’m alone, ‘lost in the woods’ (vines) while doing it.

If Exercism could provide more guided tours like this, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, whatever sorts of tasting adventures, I’d certainly go for it!

And maybe others too.

King regards,

4 Likes

That is an awesome typo!

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Defining ‘Diary’

Meanwhile, I just got my 12th green tick.

No immediate #12in23 badge, so I’m not sure if it’s just slower than for Functional February (quite reasonably), or I confused it with the extra unfinished tracks.

4 Likes

Or entirely unimplemented as we didn’t expect people to get to it until later in the year :wink:

1 Like

Quite reasonably!

Personally, I don’t really understand the excitement around badges. It’s the dashboard that keeps me pressing on. Hence I’m glad it continues to show extra languages - and you keep launching new tracks to explore.

3 Likes

Vis-a-vis badges, challenges; and about the recommended exercises…

By the time I unlock them, I’ll have already completed (more than) five exercises in the track. At first I thought only published solutions count, so I can pace myself and publish the more interesting exercises.

Earn the Functional February badge for completing and publishing 5 exercises in one of the following languages.

(from the 12in23 page)

But according to the “Your Progress” section I’m 3/5 there. Only one of the 3 (4 with Hello World) is published, so apparently that is not a needed condition. Is this an oversight? A bug?

It can be any february, not just this one. Maybe that’s what’s happening?

1 Like

Oh goodie. Zig has gone live. Just in time for Mechanical March.
Please ??

2 Likes

Where do I find the image for the full calendar?

1 Like

I don’t know about the image from the youtube video, but the corresponding blog-post has a month-by-month write-up. You can also check out the google-sheet.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, do you know what the colors in the spreadsheet mean?

Blue: featured/highlighted language
Red: I thought recently launched track, but Zig isn’t marked :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Red means upcoming track, so it means that the track will be on that month if it gets released.

1 Like

All three red languages have public tracks. Am I missing something?

1 Like

The sheet was written before those tracks were released, and I guess they haven’t been unmarked

1 Like

Huh, awk is highlighted. Better get busy writing a syllabus…

3 Likes