Weekly community call

Hi Everyone, just to say that there will be NO community call today.

Have a good weekend otherwise and see you next week :slight_smile:

Updating the calendar.

On other news, we now have an RSS feed for Community Podcasts. Will we have one for the Para-Weekly Community Calls, as well?

This is an interesting idea. I’ve never seen events pushed via RSS. Have you seen that before? I may be biased here, but shared Google Calendars work pretty well for this, too.

There is an “unoffical” Exercism Calendar I share and update for the weekly calls.

Unofficial because I don’t work for Exercism, and I don’t (usually) get any earlier notification than what anyone else could see for edits.

1 Like

Thanks! I added that to my gCal and added 10 minute and 30 minute notifications :smiley:

The weekly Community Call takes place today at 5.30pm UTC at GoToMeeting. GoTo - Jeremy Walker

This is the last call of 2022, after which, there is a Games Night for those interested!

Everyone is very welcome to join! :slightly_smiling_face:

See you soon!

Here’s the recording for last weeks community call on the 9th December 2022.

Call Recording

1 Like

It says “Here’s the transcript” but I only see the recording (along with the chat). Is it the platform’s poor choice of names, or I just can’t find the transcript?

It’s a poor choice of names :(

Hi Everyone!

There is no weekly Community Call this week.

We will be continuing them in the New Year.

In the mean time, have a restful break and see you in 2023!

J

3 Likes

There’s no call today (Jan 6th). I’ve been struggling with a wisdom tooth infection all week, and the mixture of pain + codeine doesn’t make for a useful me.

I want to rethink the calls in general for 2023. This week was supposed to be a planning week, but that’s not happened, so I’ll defer thinking on this until next week. I’m open to thoughts and ideas in this thread on how you’d like to see them evolve though :slight_smile:

Healing mercies~~~

2 Likes

@iHiD Hope you feel better soon. :crossed_fingers:

My thoughts regarding the community calls:

Because of the current situation with community contributions and the shifted focus of the Exercism staff, I don’t think there will be many updates related to the Exercism tracks. Maintainers rarely have track updates even before the changes re contributing.

That leaves two main themes for the call, the new volunteering model and the “learn-to-code” effort, at least for the next 6 month. Overall, I liked the model we had at some point with annoucing topics you (or others) want to discuss beforehand and then focussing on those. Whether there are topics in the 2 areas that make sense to discuss in the typical community call round would be up to you to decide.
If the call would be about you giving a status update for an hour than a vlog might be a better format. If it would be mainly about socializing than some game night format might be better suited.

In any case, it might make sense to reduce the frequency of the calls for the next couple of month to save you and the people joining the call some time and energy. That might also give more room to pick and announce the topics in advance so that there can be a fruitful discussion.

5 Likes

Are these calls suspended until further notice then? Noticed no one is joining today (Jan 13th) …

Well, I tried to join. But the host did not, so the rest of us were maybe sitting there attempting to join?

Hopefully Jeremy is still alive, and hopefully doing better. I have not heard. (Last indication he was at least lightly kicking about 6 hours ago.) :crossed_fingers:

Sorry, it seems @jonathanmiddleton and I had a mix up about who was posting here. I wasn’t around today but there will likely be one next week. Sorry again!

If the call is not announced my default is that it’s not happening.

1 Like

I tend to connect and listen for the connect, rather than spend the extra step of checking for the announcement. But I monitor for cancellations so I can remove the calendar entry if it is not going to happen, to try to avoid notifications that may be going out and it is known it is not going to happen.

There will be a call this week (Jan 20th) at the normal time of 5.30pm UTC :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes