What's the one thing about Exercism you'd change?

What’s your top frustration or gripe, or the one thing you think would be so much better if it was tweaked?

Not a feature to add, but something existing to change.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Conversation Visibility Improvements

From the mentoring side, the fact that most data is only updated with a full page refresh.

• Exercism Notifications - Sometimes I get 2 notifications that a student posted a new iteration and a new comment on the solution, I go check it out and sometimes when I get back to the main page the notifications are still there. A full page refresh is needed to fix it.
  • Mentoring queues numbers - A similar problem happens with mentoring queues. 1) There is a number at the top showing the total solutions in all queues we have active 2) Then there’s a number next to each track on the selector on the right and 3) Then there are the actual solutions we can see.
    I find that most often these 3 pieces of information are not in sync. Sometimes when a solution gets picked up by a mentor I can still see it in the queue, but 2) updates. I believe this happens the other way around too, when a new solution enters the queue, I think I can see it first before the numbers update to reflect that. Another full page refresh is needed to bring the numbers back in sync.
  • Testimonials - A similar thing happens with testimonials. When I get a notification that a student finished a discussion and I know our discussion was good, I might suspect I have a new testimonial that the interface is not showing me. Another full page refresh is needed for me to check if I indeed have a new testimonial.
  • Unread Reputation gains/notifications - Clicking on the notification badge for we can read them by hovering over them, but if we happen to have more that 5 unread, to see the next 5 we need a full page refresh. A similar thing happens with the reputation gains notification log.

Despite no one thing in particular of the above bothering too much, all of them together make the navigation through the mentoring pages/tabs require pressing F5 a lot.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: On a given exercise, I would like to see what topics, methods, etc are recommended to use to pass the exercise

A post was split to a new topic: Real-Life Learning Content

A post was split to a new topic: Mentoring Request Indicator

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mentoring Improvements

A post was split to a new topic: Start Exercise with Skeleton Test

2 posts were split to a new topic: Iteration Highlights

2 posts were split to a new topic: Sort Exercise by Difficulty

2 posts were split to a new topic: No more GoTo Meet

2 posts were split to a new topic: Broadcast Platform

@e1m7 @kotp Could you move your posts into a new topic about this pls. This thread has got somewhat derailed by the Jitsi conversation. Discourse isn’t threaded so if the right want to “thread” is to start a new topic. I’ll delete this post once you’ve moved your posts. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

A post was split to a new topic: Request Mentoring via Online Editor

2 posts were split to a new topic: Dark Mode for Online Editor

A post was split to a new topic: View Contributions on Journey Page

2 posts were split to a new topic: Clarify Exercise Methodology Required

4 posts were split to a new topic: Mentoring on Mobile

Some brilliant suggestions here. We’re going to split the individual posts into their own topics (you’ll see a link appear underneath your post in this thread when we’ve done it) so we can discuss each one.

I’m going to lock this thread now. I’d love to hear more of your ideas, but please start new topics for them! Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: