Batch Scripting Language

Hey all! Quite the discussion :slight_smile: Here are my thoughts:

• It’s perfectly fine that the Batch track is only really targeted at Windows, as long as the test runner can run on a Linux VM
  • As noted before, I think the fact that we need to capture stdout/stderr to verify the “output” of an exercise is fine. It works well for bash and awk so I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work here
  • I’m not entirely sure about using C# to test a solution. I am totally fine with using it within the test runner, but I’d like the student’s experience to be as simple as possible. Would it be possible to have the test file be a Batch script too? That way the student only has to deal with Batch scripts. Is there a unit-test framework for Windows batch files? - Stack Overflow seems to suggest that this might be possible, although it might require a bit of effort.
1 Like
  • I understand and approve this point
  • Yes, it will definitely be much more efficient to listen to stdout/stderr.
  • I have been using batch language for a long time and the problem is not in writing it, the problem is that batch language sometimes doesn’t work as expected, but if we are going to write it in batch language, writing unit tests is not a problem.

I believe that if we start somehow we can continue, maybe we can open the repo and if there is a standard template we can quickly start experimenting with the first exercise.

That sounds like a plan. We need to decide on the official slug and name of the track. Is it Batch, Batch Script?

It’s offical name was “BatchFile Scripting Language”, as unoffical names “Bat”, “Batch”.

I don’t recommend to use “Batch” because has Collective meaning too.
I recommend to use “Batch Script” or “BatchFile”, my vote was “Batch Script”

Let’s go with Batch Script as the name and batch as the slug. What is your GitHub username @GroophyLifefor?

Mine GitHub profile was: GroophyLifefor (Murat Kirazkaya) · GitHub

Okyay, track repo has been created: Launch tracking · Issue #1 · exercism/batch · GitHub You should have an invite to join the repo maintainers team.

Woot! We have conception!

commit 066dbf3818f57728dc208dcd1f4a9e88833a807a
Author: Exercism Bot <githubbot@exercism.io>
Date:   Fri Jan 5 14:41:19 2024 +0000

🤖 Sync org-wide files to upstream repo (#2)

More info: https://github.com/exercism/org-wide-files/commit/a8f02c17955561d9fa22b4ae539948b5ec01df22

commit eb8d2ec170ac8fc91d75c425d21d09db28c64afd
Author: Erik Schierboom <erik_schierboom@hotmail.com>
Date:   Fri Jan 5 15:27:53 2024 +0100

Bootstrap Batch Script track
3 Likes

We started maintain the tract with @ErikSchierboom.

However, I don’t plan to close this thread for the time being, there are still places where I’m stuck, I mentioned the place where I’m stuck right now in the pr of the hello world exercise.

Related PR was: feat: update config.json and add hello-world exercise by GroophyLifefor · Pull Request #3 · exercism/batch · GitHub

Hi @ErikSchierboom, Do you have a free time to look at my pull request, I tagged you as Code Review 2 days ago and I don’t want anything to go wrong.

the pull request is in the message above.

FYI I believe Erik typically doesn’t work on the weekends. He’s part of the Exercism staff and does Exercism stuff Monday through Friday.

1 Like

:100:

Tuesdays-Fridays in fact :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really? I thought of it as a contributing developer, not as a full-time employee.

It’s my fault, I’m sorry.

1 Like

Most of Exercism is volunteer-based. There is a staff that runs the organization, though! The staff consists of exactly (I think) four people at the moment: Exercism's Team :slight_smile:

If you’re talking to those people, you’re talking to staff members. If you’re talking to anyone else, you’re talking to a volunteer.

Oooh! Nice. One of these decades, I think I’d want to do that, too!

Three actually. Katrina’s pretty much retired at this stage.

Me too! :slight_smile: