Cater Waiter - Test cases

Dear Bethany

I’m sorry
I read task 7
again and again
and I don’t exactly know, what to do here.

do the entries of intersection provide the category (VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PALEO, KETO, or OMNIVORE),
and I have to check which category the given ingrediants are
or to subtract the set intersection from my result so far?

And:
As I can see there is a function symdiff(A, B)

But the hints tell me to bulid a symmetric difference by subtracting the set intersection from the set union,
and, “for more than two Sets - A symmetric difference is build by
subtracted intersections between all those set pairs needs from the symmetric difference.”
I would expect to subtracted the intersection from the unions …(that’s what I did)??

I’m totally lost

please help

thanks in advance

My Code:

function singleton_ingredients(dishes, intersection)
    S_ed_u = S_ed_is = []
    b_init = false
    for s in example_dishes 
        if !b_init 
#           at first call S_ed_is (intersect) is empty so intersect would stay emtpy all the time !
            S_ed_u = S_ed_is = s
            b_init = true
        else
            S_ed_u = S_ed_u ∪ s
            S_ed_is = S_ed_is ∩ s
        end
    end

# first try:
#    s_sing_vegetarian = setdiff(S_ed_u ∪ VEGETARIAN_INTERSECTIONS, S_ed_is)
    setdiff(S_ed_u, S_ed_is ∪ intersection)
end

no answers any more??

Bethany has a day job (AFAIK) and a life outside of Exercism. She’s a volunteer who provides support in her spare time. Try to be patient with our volunteers!

2 Likes

I’d also point out there are other people participating in this thread that can help.

For us to help, please provide the error you’re getting here as a starting place.

2 Likes

It’s good to remember that sometimes hints are pointing you in one direction, and sometimes they offer several options. The latter is the case here.

Try not to overthink this and let’s try to see the bigger picture. With what you know in Julia this can be a one-liner (two functions plus a splat).

Each <CATEGORY>_INTERSECTIONS is a set of ingredients that appear in more than one dish in the category.

So you are given several dishes’ ingredients (<dishes>) and an intersection which tells you which ingredients appear in more than one dish (<INTERSECTIONS>).

You are expected to return the ingredients which only appear in one dish.

I’m sorry
I did’nt want to push anyone!
the situation was:
I posted a request similar to the on from yesterday two days back to no one specific - and no one answered.
So I thought, to write the request to her, so maybe she will get a direct
notification

The answer depial gave…

gave me the idea that it might be much more simple than I thought
and let me follow the aspect I already had yesterday:
what makes me feel/become so blocked inside that I cannot have a clear thought about the solution.

Maybe one aspect is that in my first or second class they tortured me with
“set theory” and I really didn’t get it…

thanks for your patience with me and for your kindness!

I will follow depials trace!

with kind regards,

Nisang

Oh my god!
that was easy!

and it was only because I thought to complicated

But it taught me a lot!

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

And, thanks again - as I love indian cuisine.

whenever some of you is around Kassel - call me up and I will cook for you!

Namsté

Nisang

I’m glad that you were able to finish the exercise.

I think I should point out that my response had very little novel information in it (and possibly no novel information if you didn’t use splatting). That means that you could complete the exercise independently. It would be beneficial to reflect on how you were able to do that so you can repeat it in the future.

Being able to stand back and look at things afresh is an extremely valuable tool for independent learning, so I would suggest honing that skill at every opportunity.

Namasté

1 Like

Yes,
that’s what I did both.
And I’m also proud I could solve it myself.

the first thing that leadme into the wrong direction was,
that I read the explanations first paragraph and then in the second there was a cut.
I was astonished and felt an irritation …
but didn’t give that the neccessary attention.

The way _INTERSECTIONS was written also astouned me.

Question:
Can it be, the explanations have been changed in the meantime…?
because when I just looked there it said “CATEGORY_INTERSECTIONS” which wasn’t there before.

By the way,
what is discord?

Namasté

Nisang

You are correct. This exercise was initially ported from the Python track with very little modification. They use different formatting conventions than we do, so we’ve recently updated the docs to make the formatting closer to other Julia exercises.

thanks…
it’s only the links weren’t valid any more (even yesterday evening)

Both of those links should still be good.