First time ever programing

Hey guys! I always had interest in programing but never know how to start. I’ve never programmed before, so my question would be is how to start, which language should learn first etc. This platform looks pretty cool, hope you guys can help me. Thanks

3 Likes

Hey! :slight_smile:

Exercism isn’t for beginners so I’d recommend starting somewhere else first then coming back when you’ve got a few of the basics in place. We will be launching a platform for beginners next year, but it’ll be towards the end of the year.

FreeCodeCamp is probably the best place to get started right now!

2 Likes

What are your goals, i.e. is there a certain career path you may be interested in, or something in particular you would like to build?

2 Likes

Hey! Well to be honest i want to able to work anywhere, so with that in mind I’m exploring career in tec… and i know programming can give me that flexibility. And i just want to know the basics or "correct’ way to start in programming.

1 Like

The answer also largely depends on what your current background is and what domains you find interesting. For example, if you enjoy subjects like mathematics/statistics and have some skills there to bring to the table, it would make sense to follow a path towards data science. If you are a “creative” type as in visual arts or the like, the answer would be totally different and we would offer suggestions including languages more generally suited for design type stuff.

3 Likes

For a general starting point to explore programming concepts, I’d suggest JavaScript or Python. They are relevant in pretty much all areas of software so you would have the best chance of learning skills that are highly transferable.

3 Likes

Khan Academy has a beginner-friendly programming course which is really good:
Intro to JS: Drawing & Animation | Computer programming | Khan Academy

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I definitely going to take your suggestions

1 Like

The book «How to Design Programs» is aimed specifically at beginners. It is very unlikely that you will find work in the language that it teaches (Racket), but the fundamental skills transfer to all of the popular languages, and moreover the programming & cultural environment that comes with Racket is very self-learning friendly.

«Beau­tiful Racket» might be a nice follow-up.

1 Like