Fix syntax in space-age mentoring notes on python track

I was just vaguely aware of approaches and articles until now.

I’d look into adding some contributions to approaches, and weeding out typos could be a good start for me.

My English, while not native, is relatively OK, but this would be a spell checker job anyway (see, I can rhyme!).

2 Likes

I continue to insist that typos are alive, and they breed and multiply in the dark when we’re not looking.

2 Likes

Reviewed, approved, and merged! :tada: Thank you for submitting this @petrem.

:thinking: Gotta go back and review my solution now. I think I did an attr creation in my __init__, so I am doing work every time an object is instantiated. oops. :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Would welcome typo patrols from you and @colinleach - should either of you care to take that on! My spelling is terrible, and I am (purportedly) a native speaker. One wonders. :wink:

What I meant was NOT that someone with good English doesn’t do typos. I meant that I should be able to spot many such typos and make sense of the phrasing, and so on, so that it wouldn’t be inappropriate for me to take that on.

Book publishers have (or had) people just hunting for typos (ok, and grammar issues), so they are correcting after the most proficient language users out there… I wont be ashamad for my typoing sir!

Sorry @colinleach, while I agree typos can and do breed in the dark, someone has to have created the first two (per realm of existence), to start with. They aren’t lice, after all.

2 Likes

I … don’t know if that tracks. Abiogenesis feels like it applies to some of my writing. There are many things that I swear I spell-checked that end up with typos anyway. I’m so good at them that I often flummox the checker and it can’t come up with a suggestion! :laughing:

But perhaps they migrate to find partners, or are a contaminate from my fingertips… :wink:

I did once have a teacher ask in wonder if I was “trying” to prove a point with my spelling test scores - they just couldn’t figure out why someone with my level of comprehension could be so stupid with the words.

Ok, I will stop now. :laughing:

2 Likes

Hi @BethanyG ,

I finally finished a project and will have some free time.

For me it would be helpful to read through the approaches on the Python track and do a typos patrol, along with other minor checks and fixes, should there be anything that stands out.

Please let me know if that’s OK with you, and whether I should do separate a pull request per exercise or one PR to rule them all (or some other way).

If there’s any simple housekeeping that needs doing and makes sense to be done at the same time, please let me know.

@colinleach please let me know if you’d like to do some of them, or perhaps double-check after I’m done?

Hi @petrem!

I’d be delighted if you wanted to do an approaches audit. :smile:

The easiest for me would be 1 PR per exercise, especially if you’re going to review syntax and grammar as well as typos (doing just typos is just fine - so don’t feel obligated!). Easier to have a discussion in GH, and easier to “check off the list”, once we’ve reviewed :smile:

I think it can feel a little overwhelming at first. Each completed set of approaches is in the .approaches folder under each exercise. So, for example, the approaches for wordy are under https://github.com/exercism/python/tree/main/exercises/practice/wordy/.approaches

Each .approaches should have a config.json and a introduction.md (which outline all the available approaches for an exercise). Then there will be 2 or more subfolders that include the approach in detail, along with a code snippet. Be careful of the snippets: they are sharply limited in length, so aren’t necessarily complete nor “Python formatted” with extra whitespace (since that counts as a line). For more info on approaches, see the approaches section in the Building Exercism docs.

See the table below for which exercises have completed approaches and which are “in progress” (which have an unmerged PR). Hopefully, I didn’t miss any.


Exercises With Approaches
Completed? Exercise Name
:white_check_mark: Acronym
Affine Cipher
IN PROGRESS (PR 3652) All Your Base
Allergies
Alphametics
Anagram
Armstrong Numbers
:white_check_mark: Atbash Cipher
Bank Account
Binary Search Tree
Binary Search
:white_check_mark: Bob
Book Store
Bottle Song
Bowling
Change
:white_check_mark: Circular Buffer
Clock
:white_check_mark: Collatz Conjecture
Complex Numbers
Connect
Crypto Square
:white_check_mark: Darts
Diamond
Difference Of Squares
Diffie Hellman
IN PROGRESS (PR #3666) Dnd Character
Dominoes
Dot Dsl
IN PROGRESS (PR 3378) Etl
Flatten Array
Food Chain
Forth
IN PROGRESS (PR 3772) Gigasecond
Go Counting
Grade School
:white_check_mark: Grains
Grep
:white_check_mark: Hamming
Hangman
High Scores
House
Isbn Verifier
:white_check_mark: Isogram
Kindergarten Garden
Knapsack
Largest Series Product
:white_check_mark: Leap
Ledger
Linked List
List Ops
:white_check_mark: Luhn
Markdown
Matching Brackets
Matrix
Meetup
IN PROGRESS (PR 3935) Flower Field (Minesweeper)
:white_check_mark: Nth Prime
Ocr Numbers
Paasio
:white_check_mark: Palindrome Products
:white_check_mark: Pangram
Perfect Numbers
Phone Number
:white_check_mark: Pig Latin
Poker
Pov
Prime Factors
Protein Translation
Proverb
Pythagorean Triplet
Queen Attack
Rail Fence Cipher
:white_check_mark: Raindrops
Rational Numbers
React
Rectangles
Resistor Color Trio
Resistor Color Duo
Resistor Color
Rest Api
:white_check_mark: Reverse String
:white_check_mark::white_check_mark: Rna Transcription
:white_check_mark::white_check_mark: Robot Name
Robot Simulator
:white_check_mark: Roman Numerals
:white_check_mark: Rotational Cipher
Run Length Encoding
Saddle Points
Satellite
Say
Scale Generator
:white_check_mark: Scrabble Score
Secret Handshake
Series
Sgf Parsing
:white_check_mark: Sieve
Simple Cipher
Simple Linked List
Space Age
Spiral Matrix
:white_check_mark: Sublist
IN PROGRESS (PR 3375) Sum Of Multiples
Tournament
Transpose
Tree Building
Triangle
Twelve Days
Two Bucket
Two Fer
Variable Length Quantity
IN PROGRESS (PR 3371) Word Count
Word Search
:white_check_mark: Wordy
:white_check_mark: Yacht
Zebra Puzzle
Zipper
3 Likes

Given all the other things I have been totally failing to do recently, it would be dishonest to pretend that I can make much of a useful contribution to this, any time soon. Sorry!

Like @BethanyG, I would be delighted for you to get started on this. Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you for the details.

Here’s a first attempt: robot-name approach: fix typos, minor rephasing/improvements by petrem · Pull Request #4051 · exercism/python · GitHub

Please let me know if this is along the lines you had in mind, if I went too far with the changes, etc.

I wouldn’t want to take up too much of your time, so don’t be too gentle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oooh. THANK YOU!! Left some comments and suggestions. :smile:

rna-transcription is next: rna-transcription approach: a few improvements by petrem · Pull Request #4052 · exercism/python · GitHub

Please review it when you have a bit of time, thank you.

2 Likes

We’re “abusing” this thread. What’s the best category to raise a new thread to discuss further cleanup to approaches? “Exercism >> Building Exercism”?

a big thread tagged for building exercism and python with name talking about clean up approaches would be ideal imo
if it is mostly involved a handful of familiar people and has potential to be a long ongoing process then a single thread (for that specific track) imo is better than creating a bunch of smaller threads for each exercise

@petrem - IMHO, unless you are considering doing this for approaches across multiple language tracks, the best place for a “cleanup” thread for approaches would be in the language track you are doing the audit for.

So that would be either Programming >> Python or Building Exercism >> Python.

Up to you though. It is also appropriate for Mentoring Chat >> python, since approaches and mentoring notes are involved. I do agree that this particular thread probably needs to be closed, and a new one that states the audit purpose (maybe with a tracking list) should be opened. Would you like me to do that for you?

Conversely, since we’ve agreed on this work, and you have done several PRs and now have a feel for it, a forum discussion thread may not be the best route. It may be less “noisy” to do a tracking issue in GH and do the discussions there in the PRs and issues - so I am quite happy to do that as well. :smile:

Just let me know.

I don’t have a preference. If it works, GH issue(s) sounds good to me. I’m currently looking at wordy.

1 Like

I don’t have a preference. If it works, GH issue(s) sounds good to me. I’m currently looking at wordy.

I’ll set up a tracking issue in the repo, and we can do discussions/questions there and in the PRs.

As for Wordy - I wrote that one. :smile: My the universe have mercy on your soul :rofl:

1 Like
1 Like

As for Wordy - I wrote that one. :smile: My the universe have mercy on your soul :rofl:

Let the record show that the defendant finds the copy to be illuminating :flashlight: the mind :brain: and enriching :moneybag: the spirit :ghost: ; has the highest regard to the Author, who is brilliant :gem: and adequate in every way :o: ; and asks “oh paahhleeeezzz be lenient”.

4 Likes

SNORT. :rofl: :wink:

Talk to me again when you actually read the thing.
Points for the emoji, tho.

1 Like