I’m also available for any Exercism-related assistance here, on GH, or on the Exercism Discord. I’ve been involved for a few years in the volunteer-side of Exercism including building tracks, maintaining tracks, implementing exercises, and mentoring students.
I am posting on this thread since this is where all the posts about restarting the Odin track are.
I went through all the PRs and built a local version with all the merged code. I added comments to the PRs where I found problems. The new exercises look pretty good to me. Once we get all these merged we should take a look at what is missing to make the track useful to newcomers. I was planning to look at what the Go track did since the two languages are fairly close in concepts.
There is a couple of PRs on github workflows but I am not sure how to test these, if somebody knows how to test them on a fork or can point me to documentation to do that, that would be great.
There is nothing more I can do for now. I am not sure if @IsaacG has been able to contact @Nezteb and if he plans to be involved in the future. Hopefully we can get an Odin Track going pretty soon ![]()
I messaged @Nezteb on Twitter and haven’t heard back yet.
Tracks require maintainer involvement to proceed and changes to maintainers require action from Jeremy or Erik.
Twitter is the least reliable communication method, especially for me FYI. Regardless, their UI claims I’ve gotten no DMs from anyone recently. ![]()
Fortunately I got a forum summary email notification at some point.
Unfortunately I lost interest in Odin a while ago. I’m happy to transfer the Exercism repo’s ownership, though I’m hazy on who exactly is “approved” or even what permissions I would actually need to update in GitHub.
Hah. I tried LinkedUp but messed up the invite and got told I’d need to wait three weeks. Twitter was my last attempt after not finding anything else.
Thank you for replying! As mentioned earlier, only Jeremy or Erik can change the maintainers (though it might be possible to remove yourself from a team via something on the GitHub UI somewhere). But knowing that you’re no longer interested in the track does simplify the decisions involved in adding other maintainers; typically existing maintainers are involved in the decision to add additional maintainers. If there are no active/interested maintainers, though, it’s usually more straight forward to add a new maintainer.
No worries Isaac! Thank you for your diligence. ![]()
LinkedUp
![]()
I double checked: I don’t have many permissions at all for the Odin repo:
In the meantime, I’ve created a GH issue for this: Odin Track: New Maintainer(s)? · Issue #44 · exercism/odin · GitHub ![]()
We manage permissions by teams and not at the repo level. You’re listed in Sign in to GitHub · GitHub so it’d be curious if you don’t actually have read/write permissions. I checked and that settings page is locked down for me as well on track repos I maintain and have read/write permissions.
There should be a “Leave team” button on the Odin team page if you’re a current Odin team member.
I have now “left” the team. ![]()
I don’t see an Odin test-runner repo so that’ll need to be set up as well by Erik and then built out by the track volunteers.
Is there documentation on how to set a test-runner repo?
Main explanation is: Test Runners | Exercism's Docs
Get started is: Creating a Test Runner | Exercism's Docs
It boils down to:
- create some script that can be executed via Docker without network access
- have it take the solution
- run the tests
- generate a file in specific format at specific location
Somewhat related: Test Runner for Free Pascal - #2 by SleeplessByte
@SleeplessByte, that is giving me plenty to read. Thanks
I may get back with questions once I digest all this.
And I just helped out with the free-pascal test runner, so it’s fresh in my mind.
Now that the previous maintainer has stepped down, the odin team is empty. Adding maintainers is a task that only Jeremy and Erik can perform.
Who would officially like to be a maintainer?
Hi! I did most of the exercises in that way oversized PR, but things quieted down on the branch a bit a year ago and the day job got in the way too. I think some of the work in the PR might be outdated now.
Happy to contribute where I can, I just don’t have the capacity to take the lead on efforts right now. But I’d love to help to get the existing PR merged
I got Erik to add me as a maintainer. I’ve cleared out the logjam of busywork PRs (dependabots, etc).
I’m just going to clean up the scripts in the bin directory, then we’ll be full steam ahead for exercise creation.
Anyone with new exercise PRs in the queue, now would be a good time to review them. For PRs with multiple exercises, please separate them into separate PRs.
Personally, I plan to focus on the non-coding side of it: docs and reviews. So go have fun, you rascally kids!
Hi @glennj, I just saw you got us added as maintainers. Thank you!
I have been looking at making a plan for the track: exercises that would be nice under the practice track and a list of concepts with concept exercises. I will share, for review, as soon I have a decent draft.
If you are ok with this, I plan to start merging the exercises that are in the queue, when they are ready.
Let’s do the planning for the track in GitHub issues
One exercise per PR please.

