[Pig Latin]: 'ch' in 'chair' is not consonant cluster

according to Goggle and AI, the Initial clusters are:

Two-consonant clusters are:
bl, br, cl, cr, dr, fl, fr, gl, gr, pl, pr, sk, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sw, th, tr, tw, wh, wr

Three-consonant clusters are:
spl, spr, str, skr, skw, sphr, thr, shr, skw

‘ch’ in ‘chair’ is consonant digraph. the difference is that, consonant digraph is the two letters are pronounced together as one sound, and consonant cluster, on the other hand, is that the two or more consonants are pronounced separately

I think you’re proposing changing “consonant cluster” to “consonant digraph” on this line. Am I understanding correctly?

well, If there’s no other Initial cluster test in unit test, then yes, but if there are other tests against the actual Initial clusters for Rule #2 , then ‘ch in chair’ should be removed

The tests have thrush which I suppose would count.

Weighing in as an utter pendant.

th is also considered a digraph. More importantly, of the articles I’ve read on Pig Latin, the rules do not make a distinction between consonant clusters, consonant blends, & consonant digraphs when determining the “sound” and “move” rules.

The Wikipedia Article shows string as an example, which is a blend.
This Lighthouse Article shows child (which has the same digraph as chair) as an example.
This Tomedes Article (which also presents different rules for multi-syllable words) uses shoe as an example, as well as grammar. sh is a digraph, and gr is a blend.
This Grammarist Article has some weird rules, but does use brown as an example. br is a consonant cluster, with distinct b and r sounds.

So my strong vote is to leave this as-is. Because rules for this vary (as do the handling of y as a vowel or not-vowel). We’ve stated the version we support in the introduction.md of the exercise (which clearly shows chairairchay as well as rhythmythmrhay).

I might propose a re-phrase of rule 2:

Rule 2 : If a word begins with a consonant sound
to
Rule 2 : If a word begins with a consonant sound or consonant grouping

But I also think its fine as-is, given we have explicit examples.

how about change rule #2 to all the consonants up to the first vowel? clear and simple.

tbh, for non-native English speakers and non-English majors like me, we have to Google what consonant clusters and consonant digraphs are before doing this exercise. since the terms “consonant cluster” and “consonant digraph” are not commonly used in everyday speech, the rule may require some additional explanation.

of course, pickup some additional Knowledge along the way is a good thing, but people are there to learn and practice programming, I think understanding what consonant cluster or consonant digraph is way beyond the purpose of this exercise

I had no problem completing the exercise while having no idea what the technical definition of “consonant cluster” is. I know what a consonant is, and I know what a cluster is. The example of “ch in chair” make it pretty clear I was looking for a group of connected consonants.

well, maybe try to use those confusing terms as little as possible until fully understand them. the fact that there are different definitions for consonant clusters and consonant digraphs on different websites further proves that there is no reason to continue using them.

:+1: from me: Pig Latin: Remove use of "constant clusters" by iHiD · Pull Request #2297 · exercism/problem-specifications · GitHub

1 Like