Starting a REXX Track

I got some experience in the role of maintainer by taking on the preparation of the vbnet track for the Exercism V3 launch. If found the documentation fairly clear and the staff exceptionally helpful. I could not have done it without @ErikSchierboom who went out of his way to be kind to me, a git-ignoramus. Starting from scratch in the V3 environment is certainly an easier place to start from than taking a partially-built V2 track and making it work in V3.

So as long as you’re capable of climbing a steep learning curve you should do okay. You certainly won’t be alone, and you will always be able to find someone who can help you out. The caveat is that we are all volunteers, so things that might take O(n) in private industry may take O(n log n) or longer in Exercism-land. So set yourself realistic targets and don’t fret too much if the targets aren’t met in as timely a manner as you may have wished. Occasionally things do happen quickly. Rejoice in these times.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice.

REXX and git I already know. Need to get up to speed on the pragmatics of managing an Exercism track on github.

So, I’m volunteering to maintain a REXX track !

1 Like

Linking the question from the request to start the track here.

Thank you. So, just to confirm, further communication on this matter is most appropriately performed via github ?

Mostly here, I think. At least for planning. PR’s will be another thing.

Greetings everyone,

Just a general update on the Rexx track, and since this topic thread exists I thought I would use it rather than start a new one.

Presently, 66 exercises are implemented, and the track documentation is mostly complete.

Much effort has been expended in refining the unit test framework, and test runner. The two are closely linked, and will undergo further (extensive) changes.

Various commitments have prevented me working on the track for a number of months, but I plan to resume activity this coming February (when I can devote my full attention to it) with the intention of launching it by April.

Now, onto completing 12In23 !

5 Likes