The #12in23 Challenge!

Hi @MatthijsBlom clear now - my understanding was that exercism would select a language each month and then users would do the min 5 for that month. So I just select any language I choose for the month…

1 Like

Is it assumed that the completion of the challenge will be with good quality, vetted solutions or is it basically anything that gets the test suite passed? I’m going for the former, pulling in a mentor for every language I’m not day-to-day with.

1 Like

If you get the tests passing, you’ve passed the exercise. That said, mentoring is always great and obviously the more you learn, the more you’ll get out of the whole experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A quick question: When you finish 5 exercises, you get the tick. At 6 exercises, you also get a green outline, which I’d assume signifies we went “above and beyond” in the track? Are there any other hidden goodies in there? No need for spoilers of course :)

1 Like

Yes.

I would have to answer yes to the question. It really is what you want out of it. And so, in answer to the question, Yes.

This sounds more like a bug by me :joy:

2 Likes

I say lean into it. First, it goes green with 5+ solutions, then tinges yellow/orange with 10+ solutions, and finally, sprouts flames (as in you are on a hot streak :fire: ) with 12/15+ solutions. :wink:

6 Likes

Proof (C++ would get the green outline on the 6th exercise):
Outline

I’d also call this a FEATURE, not a bug, and @BethanyG made a great suggestion! Gamifying this a bit further sounds like fun, push people to keep their momentum. I know I’m definitely going for 6 exercises now :smiley:

edit:

A bug then, > 5 for the border-successColor, but >=5 for the progress bar and check mark. Let’s call it a “happy accident” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is that dark mode? How can I turn it on? I’ve been looking for a dark mode and didn’t find it, so I concluded it doesn’t exist… Am I missing something?

Exercism does not yet have a dark mode, but it might be in the works. I use Dark Reader instead.

1 Like

Thanks for creating this challenge!

I just signed up and am getting this screen even though I’ve already completed all exercises for the Racket track. Any suggestions for a fix? Thanks for any assistance.

1 Like

Only exercises solved this year count.

Arguably, if you have already solved all exercises on a track, that track isn’t much of a challenge anymore and it should not count.

A fix that is already available to you: create a new exercise for the track and then solve it. This can be instructive.

1 Like

I love the concept! Will there be a badge?

1 Like

Hi @MatthijsBlom - Thanks for the feedback. I think I was confused because I marked complete more than 5 exercises this month, but some of those already had at least 1 iteration submitted last year (or maybe it’s based upon when I downloaded them initially?) At any rate, I’ll look into your suggestion. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m full on it !

3 Likes

I thought the order of the language tiles was determined by the order in which exercises were solved. However, that no longer seems the case. How is the order determined?

Previously I saw Haskell–Python–Rust, but now it has turned into Haskell–Rust–Python.

1 Like

Based on my board, I’d say sorted by number of exercises.

1 Like

Bro, they aren’t locked you just choose another track and start doing that one, and it will appear on that box!

1 Like

I want to maximize the fun here. Since part of the #12in23 challenge is opening ourselves up to new ideas, Can we get badges for the different paradigms we try? Like different badges for #Imperative, #Functional, #OOP. Is there a #Metaprogramming badge for certain challenges? For that matter is there a guide to the different badges you can earn?? This is definitely a fun challenge.

2 Likes