Video Recording/Editing Software

I recorded one video using OBS. The experience wasn’t too bad. Since then HumbleBundle offered a bundle of Movavi video recording and editing software, which I have but haven’t gotten around to using yet. And now a new bundle with Vegas Pro-related software is available. I probably won’t get into further video recording/editing until next year, but I’m wondering what opinions anyone may have regarding the relative experience between these three products.

1 Like

+1

Also interested in knowing more about this, especially so I can start recording some exercise video walkthroughs.

2 Likes

It depends how much post-production you want to do, if any. The major innovation of OBS is that you don’t have to actually do any editing - when it came out it was a total game-changer because it enables a completely different workflow. The ability to compose your sources and spit out a video on the fly lets you avoid so much of what used to be an incredibly tedious process. The more you can take advantage of that the better, because anything you need to do after the fact will take exponentially longer.

Once you have the initial video from OBS, the choice of video editor tends to matter much less. Often all that needs to be done is making cuts, which can be done right on the command-line with FFmpeg. If you want to do it graphically, there’s a really nice frontend for it called lossless-cut which I love.

For more fancy video editing I use Kdenlive because it is cross-platform, which is extremely valuable to me because I use both Linux and Windows. If I was interested in choosing one today, I would consider motionity.

1 Like

I use obs to record and then adobe premiere rush for editing. Premiere rush isn’t that powerful but it is easy to use and that is what I like about it.

1 Like

Shallow dive “short” list of examples with ffmepg called FFmpeg - The Ultimate Guide is something I found, published recently.

3 Likes