What happened to Mentors?

Dear Exercism Community,

I have been using Exercism since 2021 but have not been back on the website. I notice that the ‘volunteer/mentor’ button is no longer available on the exercises.

I also have a question about C#. I want to use the program with top level statements(omitting the required public static void Main()) part but when I simply put in Console.WriteLine(); the program does not run. Please help direct me in the right way.

~Pixie

Are you hoping to mentor others or be mentored yourself? The latter requires you either first pass all the tests or use the CLI to submit your solution.

The Main method is the entry point of a C# application. (Libraries and services do not require a Main method as an entry point.) When the application is started, the Main method is the first method that is invoked.

There needs to be a Main() somewhere. For Exercism exercises, you write libraries and the tests have the Main entry point. The tests call specific, expected functions. Your code should live in those functions and the tests will run them. You can define your own Main and call those functions, too!

Welcome back. We renamed mentoring to Code Review (resulting in twice the amount of people using it). See the arrow on the screenshot.

Oh…thank you very much…may I also ask about the C# track…is it being used without requiring to use ‘MAIN’ now to run the programs?

I have just recently installed the CLI but again, it’s been two years since i’ve been on this platform…

1 Like

There needs to be a Main() somewhere. For Exercism exercises, you write libraries and the tests have the Main entry point. The tests call specific, expected functions. Your code should live in those functions and the tests will run them. You are to write libraries, not executables.

The exercise stubs in the earlier exercises should lay out exactly what functions are needed.