YAMLScript Language Track

Just wanted to post an update. I have 39 YS exercises (planning to launch with 42) set up with solutions and passing all tests. Here’s all the test results, test files and solution files in one gist if you are keen: aaa-make-test.txt · GitHub
I need to write the docs/*/*.md files and do the logo thing. I’m a little fuzzy on how the logo process goes but I’ll do my best.
Looking forward to launching the YS Track as #72 !!!

PS @ErikSchierboom I solved the test file naming conundrum and have Change how the test files are named in YS exercises by ingydotnet · Pull Request #8 · exercism/yamlscript-test-runner · GitHub ready for you.

3 Likes

See GitHub - exercism/website-icons: Icons for the Exercism website. The staff will make an icon for your track.

@BNAndras Yeah I read that. I just don’t really get the licensing needs and how to fulfill them.

Here’s my logo request issue: Requesting a track logo for the YAMLScript track · Issue #178 · exercism/website-icons · GitHub
Hopefully that’s good enough.

1 Like

I think you did everything right.

As for the license: often logos will have a different (e.g. content license) and or rules than everything else. Sometimes no license is given, in which case it defaults to unlicensed, which means we need permission to use the logo in any shape or form, or make a derivative.

None of that seems to apply for YAMLScript, so rock on :rocket:

Thanks for that.
Do you happen to know when I can expect exercism to turn that into an icon?
I’m hopig to launch the YAMLScript track next week.

I know everyone is pretty busy but I’m certain it’ll be done… Eventually!

While we wait, the track docs seem to be missing.

The staff also will need to set up https://exercism.org/tracks/yamlscript so it’s accessible to Exercism maintainers before launch. At that point, those folks can go through the track looking for any rough edges. That includes checking out the docs and perhaps solving some exercises.

There are a few other housekeeping things that might be left to do.

GitHub - exercism/tokei: Count your code, quickly. is our line counter for published community solutions so a PR adding YAMLScript here would be helpful.

GitHub - exercism/snippet-extractor is used to customize how Exercism extracts lines of code for display in community solutions.

When the track goes live, students can optionally use the Exercism CLI to test their solutions. It’d be good to add support for YAMLScript at cli/workspace/test_configurations.go at main · exercism/cli · GitHub.

1 Like

@BNAndras thanks for the reply.

I’m working on the docs now.
Thanks for letting me know about tokei, snippet-extractor and the cli config. I’ll get on those this week.

One thing I was wondering. Is there a dev mode where I can use the CLI with the YAMLScript track before it is launched?

My understanding is it works through the undocumented but public Exercism API so the track-specific exercism commands should work once the staff sets the track up in the API. That’d be roughly when the track page above starts working. You shouldn’t have to wait until launch because at the moment Arturo isn’t live and exercism download --track=arturo --exercise=hello-world works just fine.

1 Like

I’ll setup the track tomorrow.

3 Likes

This is also my understanding :partying_face:

Ehm, Tuesday that is. I’m off tomorrow, sorry.

2 Likes

Trying arturo:

$ exercism download --track=arturo --exercise=hello-world
Error: You have not joined this track

and https://exercism.org/tracks/arturo is 404 for me.

Is there another way to join the track?

@ErikSchierboom thanks! I’ll get all the remaining tasks done on my side by then.

I’ve been wanting to do this for some time now.

Wondering what people think.

I’ve just created the track. Should be testable in a few minutes.

Try again.

Fantastic!!!

It’s working great. Thanks much.

Now I have a full weekend ahead of me :smiley:

Enjoy yours!!!

3 Likes

Once the test runner image is created, set "test_runner" to true on yamlscript/config.json at 425c1e2ff9175472aa321b959a96dc5e7efbb27b · exercism/yamlscript · GitHub and I can help test out the track.

I appreciate that.

I noticed that in https://exercism.org/tracks/yamlscript/exercises/hello-world I can’t use the online editor. Is that because I haven’t turned on test_runner yet?

I’m not 100 on what you mean by “Once the test runner image is created”. By “image” I assume you mean the docker image built from yamlscript-test-runner/Dockerfile at main · exercism/yamlscript-test-runner · GitHub
I’ve built and pushed that image to docker.io/ingy/exercism-yamlscript-test-runner:0.1.73 for my own CI purposes, but I doubt that’s what you need.

I need to put out a YS 0.1.74 release today and submit a yamlscript-test-runner PR for that. Is that something you can approve or do I need to wait for @ErikSchierboom to return next week?

Yeah, turn on test_runner then, and you’ll be able to use the online editor. I wasn’t sure if the Docker test runner image was created yet in my earlier post, but it sounds like we’re good there.

For that test-runner PR, you’ll need to wait until staff (i.e. Erik) reviews it.