About the Bugs & Feature Requests category

Found a bug? Got a feature request? Post it here, and we’ll explore it with you!

A feature request: Be able to reverse the “End Discussion” in case it is accidentally pressed.

Also, a question: Is it possible to give a review later, when the discussion is ended, but then later you want to change your vote or give feedback because the session was awesome!

I have switched to another home directory, and exercism cli workspace is still configured to the old one. How do I change it?

Running exercism configure gives me the following:

panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x18 pc=0x7c497b]

goroutine 1 [running]:
github.com/exercism/cli/cmd.runConfigure({{0x87fc43, 0x5}, {0xc00002c075, 0xa}, {0xc000036280, 0x1b}, {0x88e0c9, 0x1a}, {0x7fff8e25e401, 0x8}, ...}, ...)
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/exercism/cli/cmd/configure.go:147 +0x41b
github.com/exercism/cli/cmd.glob..func1(0xbac140, {0x87f125, 0x0, 0x0})
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/exercism/cli/cmd/configure.go:43 +0x158
github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute(0xbac140, {0xcd0660, 0x0, 0x0})
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/spf13/cobra/command.go:872 +0x624
github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC(0xbad540)
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/spf13/cobra/command.go:990 +0x3bc
github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute(...)
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/spf13/cobra/command.go:918
github.com/exercism/cli/cmd.Execute()
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/exercism/cli/cmd/root.go:39 +0x25
main.main()
	/tmp/guix-build-exercism-3.1.0.drv-0/src/github.com/exercism/cli/exercism/main.go:6 +0x17

I managed to fix it. I had to recreate an access to the old home directory (chown it to my new user account) and then the client didn’t error anymore.

A better fix might be to change the configuration, and move your workspace directory to the new home folder.

exercism help configure

This will reveal the -w option, and perhaps mv ~/../old_home/exercism ~/. would move that to your current $HOME. You will likely also need to update the permissions on that directory recursively chown $USER -R ~/exercism (with the appropriate blob to change all directories and files within).

But your changes work for you as well, so just a suggestion.

Yes, I tried to do that but it segfaulted. Steps to reproduce error:

1. set workspace to a directory you have access to
  2. remove access from your workspace by doing chmod a-x dir
  3. exercism configure

Yes, directories must have execute bit set to be able to “enter” that directory. I missed a step there, for sure!

Hi, I think I found something that should’t happen.

I requested a mentoring session for Raku, and I was kindly helped by a Raku mentor but life got in the way… so I took too long to return and the session timed out.

Nevertheless, I gained a magnificent mentee trophee! It seems to me totally undeserved, so might be a bug.

By the way, I truly intent to go back and finish that exercise and maybe ask for another mentoring session, but so far I haven’t.

Also I’d like to apologise to @m-dango for not answering in time.

Regards,

1 Like

I think if you post a comment in that discussion/mentoring session it will still reach your mentor.

1 Like

I was thinking that a good feature addition could be that when you’re in a mentoring discussion, you can also modify the code instead of only seeing it. So you avoid having to have opened two tabs one to see the mentor comments and other to modify the code accordingly.

Reporting a website UI bug: pronouns forms

On the pronouns section at exercism.org/settings, the forms are listed as “optional” and there’s “Leave blank” listed amongst frequently used options, yet when trying to unset previously set pronouns back to blank, the form refuses to accept blank values.