I think renaming the slug might be the way to go here. Deprecation seems more appropriate if the exercise turned out to be a bad fit like for Pyret which generally uses linked lists. The problem here though is different because it’s just a namespace collision. For this exercise, I think it’s safe to break the connection to problem specs. The most recent test suite addition was eight years ago, and the instructions were last updated three years ago. That implies the exercise is fairly stable in its current form.
Another approach would be to add support to the configlet to support a rename map. That would also be useful for those three Haskell exercises that conflicts with package names.
Can a mod split this thread and move the configlet stuff over to Building Exercism? This should be discussed more broadly than what might be possible in a track-specific feedback thread.
Alright, Discourse destroyed some context here.
My original post here was originally a response to keiraville at Factor Track Feedback - #16 by keiraville. The thread title, on the other hand, refers to Isaac’s response to keiraville which is now the second post here. We forked the thread so this could be a more visible discussion for maintainers. This is currently an issue that affects at least two tracks, Haskell and Factor.
Personally, I don’t have a strong feeling for or against as long as some folks chime in. If we do add this feature, I would recommend any new optional track config keys be documented in the Exercism docs.
I understand the problem. I don’t completely understand, why setting specification for the problem-specification slug is chosen and not local-slug or similar for some local modification of the slug? Instead of generally changing the meaning of slug in the global configuration I’d prefer adding a variation when locally required.
Tomato, tomahto?
If the slug stays the same, tools that use the slug to identify the path need to be updated (including the website). If the slug changes, tools that use the slug to identify the problem spec need to be updated (including the configlet).
It’s a question if which of those mappings is worse to break and which tooling will need to be updated.