Adding Matrix to the Rust Track

Hello,

I’ve been using Exercism for a few months now and really enjoy the platform. I was hoping to give back a little by contributing some exercises to the Rust track.

Looking through the problem-specifications repo I saw that Matrix hasn’t been implemented yet for Rust. Is this something I can assist with?

Thanks!

1 Like

@jpal91 Hello! Glad you’re enjoying it, and thanks for wanting to help! :slight_smile:

Sounds great to me. @senekor Any objection?

1 Like

Sounds good!

There is an exercise generator that should help you with the boilerplate. You can run cd rust-tooling/generate && cargo run -- add from the repo root. Also see docs/CONTRIBUTING.md for more useful info.

I’ll be happy to review, answer questions etc.

Thanks for contributing!

3 Likes

@iHiD @senekor

Thank you both! I did just put in a pull request and I look forward to your response!

Add Exercise Matrix

It looked like everything was passing on my end based on the CI tests, but let me know if I need to change anything.

Also, I’d love to help out some more on adding in new exercises, but I did want to ask if there are any other priorities for the Rust track repo right now?

Thanks!

2 Likes

While there’s nothing that needs immediate attention, a few things come to mind:

• The mentoring queue is at 120 people currently. You could try mentoring if you feel like you would enjoy it.
  • Whenever I have time for exercism, I generally do undner-the-hood kind of stuff, just because I enjoy it. At the moment that is lifting exercises up to the generator one by one. You can do that if you like, but you might find it boring. (also no immediate impact to users)
  • One thing I’ve wanted to do for a long time is run clippy in our analyzer. It’s probably a big chunk of work and mostly devops type stuff. Writing a decent dockerfile, adjusting CI, massaing the data to adhere to the json spec… not everyone’s cup of tea. Value for users would be high imo.
  • Can do!
  • I wouldn’t want to take away from your fun :slight_smile:
  • This sounds pretty interesting. I may take a little time and dive through the code base to familiarize myself with it.

Thanks!