Alternative to Babelmark3?

The Markdown Specification page of Exercism mentions that we could try rendering md files at Babelmark3. But the service at the page does not seem to be down. I have already submitted the issue to their github repository, but I found quite a few outdated open issues there. So, they may not be very active. So, I am wondering if there is any alternative to Babelmark3 for testing md files for Exercism.

A quick google showed me this: https://markdownlivepreview.com/, but I haven’t tried it. I typically preview my markdown in a markdown editor or an IDE.

Digital Ocean also has one: Markdown Preview | DigitalOcean

Seems to be working for me. Would commonmark.js demo work to show the rendered Markdown? That seems specific to CommonMark which is what we’re targeting I believe.

@BethanyG @BNAndras

Thanks! Babelmark3 seems to be still down. Both of the sites you guys suggested work well. But they of course don’t cover the extension added by Exercism. I think that it would be nice if Exercism had a page in which we could try markdown codes (with Exercism extensions). I am mainly using cmark on my local machine. But I am sometimes not very sure how it would look like at Exercism.

Thanks again.

I think the only issues I have with the exercism-flavored markdown we use is the admonitions. I have to take those sorta on faith for rendering.

But other than that, my IDEs/editors seem quite OK with both markdown and mermaid rendering that is accurate enough to preview how it will look on the website.

Wanted to add these two VSCode markdown editors, just in case they might be useful. Both are common-mark compatible:

Markdown All in One - Visual Studio Marketplace (12M+ downloads)

Markdown Editor - Visual Studio Marketplace (159,000 downloads)

2 Likes