Attempted to improve wording

I opened attempted to improve wording by senarclens · Pull Request #951 · exercism/cpp · GitHub which started by fixing a typo (exiting → exciting) in the exercise description. Eventually I also tried to reduce the length of some sentences and added hints that references are expected where appropriate (to allow the reader to focus on the problem at hand).

I hope you don’t mind some constructive criticism. While the exercise is well done, it does, in my point of view, help little to introduce two very important concepts (auto and smart pointers) at the same time. Even Vaeng’s beautiful sample solution (vaeng's solution for Power of Troy in C++ on Exercism) does not even include a single occurance of auto.

Either way - I hope the PR is helpful.
Best, Gerald

1 Like

PR looks good in principle, so I’ve reopened it. Thank you for making it and following up here :slight_smile:

I’ll leave it to @vaeng to continue the conversation! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with this sentiment on quite a few exercises. Clearer wording, shorter sentences, and introducing one concept at a time would be helpful throughout all the lessons. This seems to be an area ripe for easy improvement.

In addition, it would be helpful to have the autograder work at first pass for each exercise, even if the user hasn’t typed anything. This allows people to see if their code to the first task worked without having to write out the entire solution to all the tasks.