Blackjack excersice

if card == "J" or card == "Q" or card == "K":
    return 10
elif card == "A":
    return 1

I saw in the solution part that I have to write one more “return” at the end of the first task, but I don’t understand why.
I would appreciate if someone help me find out the reason.

1. When sharing code, more is usually better. This looks like a snippet, not a full function. You should (almost) always share the full function.
  2. Your function needs to handle cards like "2", "6", "9". This code doesn’t handle those inputs.

yes, you’re right. This the full function:

def value_of_card(card):
if card == “J” or card == “Q” or card == “K”:
return 10
elif card == “A”:
return 1

another thing that I don’t understand and I think it’s because I don’t know how to play blackjack is that aren’t the cards just letters like J Q K A? Why should a number be a possible input?
p.s: don’t why the indentations can not be shown when I write the full function.

The card represents the face of a playing card. A standard deck of playing cards has cards A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 J Q K. You need to be able to handle any/all of these values.

Because you didn’t wrap it in a “code block”.

1 Like

Thanks a million.

def value_of_card(card):
    if card == "J" or card == "Q" or card == "K":
        return 10
    elif card == "A":
        return 1
    else:
        return int(card)

it still doesn’t work, as u said I handled the else part, but idk why it’s not working again.
I don’t know how to deal with the problems with my code :(
I don’t want to check the solutions either.

That looks like it ought to work. What about it doesn’t work? Are there failing tests? What do they say?

It worked finally :sweat_smile:

1 Like