Hi, I find the description of the exercise “Bottle song” very unclear. Looking at the code snippet, it seems like the variable “take_down” is supposed to be the number of verses, and not how many bottles to take down every verse, along with, looking at the tests, that the start_bottle never surpasses 10. I think both of these are pieces of information that should be in the problem readme, as well as the name of the variable “take_down” and the respective todo to be changed to reference either the number of verses, or that this is the total bottles taken down during the whole song - not per verse.
I planned on doing a PR request myself, but the contributing doc in the rust track mentions to open a topic on the forum first.
The Take_down represent both things : number of verse(s) to be recite and the number of bottle(s) you need to take down in total. If you read the poem in the introduction, you can see that each verse only ever take down one bottle.
along with, looking at the tests, that the start_bottle never surpasses 10
hence the name Ten Green Bottles. in the introductions.
On exercism for practice exercises more than often the instructions does just what it implies, you will need to read the test suite and gather more information on what the exercise is expecting out of you.
I know take_down represents both the number of bottles taken down in total and the number of verses, however, it is easy to assume it is the number of bottles taken down each verse, and the example doesn’t help, given it could very well be an example where take_down = 1, and you must get to no bottles every time.
I understand you might need to look at the tests, but this feels like a unnecessarily ambiguous naming of the variable compared to making references to the verse - one that, in my opinion, generates less readable code for the same reason. The explanation in general feels very vague compared to other, often more difficult exercises in the rust track, where looking at the tests helped clarify details about edge cases and/or formatting, but wasn’t necessary to the base understanding of the exercise.
Okay. I moved this from the problem spec category to the Rust category. I would suggest picking one option and making a specific suggestion for a change that the Rust maintainers can consider.
I don’t think we should change anything here. The snippet is very self-explanatory IMO. Otherwise, checking the tests is normal and expected.
If the variables reference verses instead of bottles, the confusion could just go the other way. Why would the number of verses to recite continually decrease how many bottles are on the wall?
PS: Sorry for the late response, I stopped receiving emails from the forum for some reason.