Break up Windowing System problem?

Between the lesson, the graphic, and the assignments, it seems like such a large module. Is it just me? Would it make sense to have this be separated into two separate concepts, especially since classes are built on top of prototypes?

I could also be totally wrong. Just my thought. Everything prior to this has been relatively quick to get through

1 Like

I did not experience the size of the concept as a problem. But I guess that’s because I already knew about classes and objects (and prototypes) beforehand.

Anyways, the β€œgraphic” definitely looks a bit weird on the instructions page, but it transports a useful chunk of information if viewed as β€œmeant to look”:

                  <--------------------- screenSize.width --------------------->

       ^          β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
       |          β”‚                                                            β”‚
       |          β”‚         position.x, _                                      β”‚
       |          β”‚         position.y   \                                     β”‚
       |          β”‚                       \<----- size.width ----->            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 ^      *──────────────────────┐            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 |      β”‚        title         β”‚            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 |      β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€            β”‚
screenSize.height β”‚                 |      β”‚                      β”‚            β”‚
       |          β”‚            size.height β”‚                      β”‚            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 |      β”‚       contents       β”‚            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 |      β”‚                      β”‚            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 |      β”‚                      β”‚            β”‚
       |          β”‚                 v      β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜            β”‚
       |          β”‚                                                            β”‚
       |          β”‚                                                            β”‚
       v          β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜

Maybe we could try to reduce the dimensions to make it fit into the column width better? Would that help?

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚                                                         ^  β”‚
β”‚         position.x, _                                   |  β”‚
β”‚         position.y   \                                  |  β”‚
β”‚                       \<----- size.width ----->         |  β”‚
β”‚                 ^      *──────────────────────┐         |  β”‚
β”‚                 |      β”‚        title         β”‚ screenSize β”‚
β”‚                 |      β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€    .height β”‚
β”‚                 |      β”‚                      β”‚         |  β”‚
β”‚            size.height β”‚                      β”‚         |  β”‚
β”‚                 |      β”‚       contents       β”‚         |  β”‚
β”‚                 |      β”‚                      β”‚         |  β”‚
β”‚                 |      β”‚                      β”‚         |  β”‚
β”‚                 v      β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜         |  β”‚
β”‚                                                         |  β”‚
β”‚<-------------------- screenSize.width ------------------v->β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
2 Likes

I’d be happy with a redo of that ASCII art.