Usually, I aim for a minimalist introduction.md and a more detailed about.md. All fine when there is an associated concept exercise, which on completion unlocks the About.
Now I want to create a docs-only concept, with no exercise expected any time soon, so that I can link to it from other concepts (“for more details see…”).
I’m guessing the student will only ever see the Intro, with no easy way to reach the About? So it’s pointless to make the two markdown files different? Of course, another possibility is that I just don’t understand the software I’m supposed to be building and maintaining!
From what I recall, the introduction.md is shown to everybody logged in or out unless they’re logged in and solved the related concept exercise., which is when they see the about.md.
In general, if you can’t differentiate the content between the two files, just make them the same content and don’t worry about it. That happens on a lot of smaller concepts I’ve proofed, and forcing a distinction is going to feel awkward for you and the student.
If you’re not planning on doing a concept exercise any time soon, then it doesn’t add additional content that won’t be seen normally. Plus if you change your mind later and add an exercise, there’s no guarantee that the about.md won’t need to be updated from whatever you just added now.
1 Like