Hi everyone,
You may have heard of the NixOS linux distribution. Nix is the name of the package manager of NixOS which is also written in the language called Nix.
Nix is a functional and declarative programming language.
As NixOS is becoming more and more popular, more people are getting interested to learn the Nix language. Nix and Nixos also has a growing, vibrant and helpful community which regularly contributes to anything nix related.
Adding a track for the Nix language would help out many begineers in their journey.
Would you be working on this track or do you know people who could work on it?
We have a WIP track for Nix at GitHub - exercism/nix: Exercism exercises in Nix. that can be worked on if you were willing to help build it.
Hey I am interested in contibuting to that repo. Would I only have to make a PR to contribute or how can I contribute? If so who would review it. Seems that repo hasn’t been touched for years
I’d first read over the information at New Track | Exercism's Docs to see what that entails. Generally, the folks building out the track would be reviewing their own work. Reviews aren’t formally required until after the track goes live, but I’m sure plenty of folks can help out with specific issues. When you get closer to a track launch, other Exercism track maintainers customarily look it over and see if there are any other issues that need to be addressed before launch.
sounds like I would need to request maintainer access to that repo to make contributions. How hard is it to get added to mainterner list?
@ErikSchierboom can add you to the GitHub team associated with that repo. The repo would need to be unarchived, but I believe that’s reversible.
Thanks @ErikSchierboom ! I have tried pushing to the repo but seems like main branch is write protected. @BNAndras said that I don’t have to create PRs so can you add me to the maintainers list for the nix track so I can just push to master directly?
Reviews aren’t needed but PRs usually are. You’d want to fork the repo, push to your personal fork then create a PR. You can then merge the PR without requiring a review.
@IsaacG I created a PR added two new exercises by andrii619 · Pull Request #55 · exercism/nix · GitHub but github does not let me review it since I am the author. The rules for that repo prevent me reviewing it
You don’t need to review it. If you’re the maintainer, you should be able to hit “Merge” without a review.
I can’t. Its blocking me from merging and also from reviewing
Should be good now.
I tried creating a test PR to see if I can just hit merge. Still same problem. I think you might need to add me to the write list for the repo for me to be able to merge without a review from write access users.
Should be good now.
Hi! I would really like to contribute to this track. I have added several practice exercises on my fork already