Dangling concepts

One of the students I’ve mentored asked about guard statements in the learning path. I was surprised to see that this concept isn’t in the syllabus, but I’ve found this concept on github.

Similar to guard, there are other concepts that, for some reasons, are present in the repository but not used:

  • classes
  • conditionals-guard
  • initializers
  • loops
  • opaque-indices
  • repeat-while
  • stored-properties
  • strings
  • structs

Some of these topics are now included in another active concepts, while others, like guard, are not.

The main questions are:

  1. Is it a good idea to remove stale concepts that are not part of the syllabus?
  2. Is it a good idea to review and merge dangling concepts into the current syllabus?

It seems most of those were created during the Exercism v2 → v3 migration. If the content hasn’t been updated in the last couple of years, they’re probably of limited use as-is, but you could reuse them. Either update the existing concept or create a new concept and adapt the content. I don’t believe you’re supposed to delete an existing concept since I think that caused issues on the Cairo track recently.

2 Likes