Does anyone have ideas of something fun to build in python

l want to build a text based sort of game for my self but have no idea what to make it about if anyone has ideas l will note them down and get to coding

Hi @eric-o2r34 :wave:

Welcome to Exercism! This is less an idea, and more an inspiration: The Kingdom of Loathing. It is positively ancient, and really funny if you like puns and bad drawings. Yes - web-based, but really a text-based game underneath it all. All of it is turn-based with modifiers and scores tallied by turn.

1 Like

thanks this is what l was looking for also looks like a bit hard for me

I’m making a program that reads .json unit and building data for Heroes of Might and Magic games and outputs DOT (graphviz) diagrams for building tech trees, as well as stacked bar charts for factions (town construction costs and weekly unit costs). I’m mostly done. Currently implementing units for Heroes of Science and Fiction, and the final boss will be Heroes of Might and Magic 4, which has alternative units at every tier, which will force adding another feature to the program.

I will publish it on Codeberg once I’m satisfied with it. I went to Exercism to have a break, because I was a bit burn out.

Pick your favorite game or two, and write a program that analyzes it. Graphviz (DOT) is so simple and clean it’s easier to edit by hand than HTML or MediaWiki format. It can be very satisfying to illustrate something complex with a graph.


As far as text games go, I heard Warsim is awesome but I haven’t tried it yet. Here’s a fragment of patch notes:

AARDWOLVES

Aardwolves are in the game now, a small foxlike creature from africa, Aard being afrikaans for earth, so really they are earthwolves!

  • Added New Race ‘Aardwolf Folk’
  • Added New Race ‘Aardwolfmen’
  • Added New Race ‘Were-Aardwolfs’
  • Added New Race ‘Evolved Aardwolfs’
  • Added New Race ‘Half-Aardwolfs’
  • Added New Race ‘Shapeshifting Aardwolfs’
  • Added New Race ‘Aardwolflings’
  • Added new kingdom type ‘Aardwolfdom’
  • Added new creature ‘Aardwolf’
1 Like

This is fairly dated at this point, but fun: Invent with Python: PyGame. Free to read online, and might even have a PDF download available.

PyGame Library.

1 Like

Another fun project is this Fantasy Map Generator.

And here is a tutorial that does a similar thing, but with Streamlet: Medium: Building a Fantasy Map Generator with Python and Streamlit

1 Like

Ooh, I work with maps professionally, and that map generator is a great idea. You get something concrete pretty quickly, and then you can iterate to your heart’s content, adding more incremental features that weren’t obvious from the get-go. That can be tweaks to the map itself, how you render it, how you store it, or even how you share it.

1 Like

As you’re mentioning games and this is the python forum: r/roguelikedev started their annual tutorial-along this week. It goes week by week and the tutorial itself uses a python library to make a text-based roguelike, which is pretty much the quintessential text-based game. If that sounds interesting you might want to follow along.

There’s also a Python-based engine called Evennia which is meant for development of MUDs, an old multiplayer form of text-based games, although the lead maintainer has made at least one solo puzzle game with it. It might be big enough it doesn’t suit your interests but skimming it over might be worthwhile.

3 Likes