Does anyone recognize this file format?

I was just looking at the (very old) README in the Scheme repo, and I’m puzzled.

# -*- mode: org -*-

#+TITLE: Exercism Scheme Track
#+AUTHOR: Jason Lewis

[![Configlet Status](https://github.com/exercism/scheme/workflows/configlet/badge.svg)]
[![Exercise Test Status](https://github.com/exercism/scheme/workflows/scheme%20%2F%20main/badge.svg)]

Exercisms in scheme.

** Overview

   Welcome to the home of the exercism scheme track!

... (stuff edited out)

#+begin_src scheme :exports code
(let ((spec (get-test-specification 'pascals-triangle)))
  (put-problem!
   'pascals-triangle
   `((test . ,(spec->tests spec))
     (stubs pascals-triangle)
     (version . ,(lookup 'version spec))
     (skeleton . "pascals-triangle.scm")
     (solution . "example.scm")
     (markdown . ,(splice-exercism 'pascals-triangle)))))
#+end_src

I’ll rewrite it as a more conventional README.md, but I’ve no idea what this file type even is. There is no file extension.

GitHub does a mostly-good job of rendering it, VS Code thought I was mad to ask for a preview.

It’s a text file authored with the Emacs text editor. See Org-mode - Wikipedia

1 Like

Very odd. I never heard of this, though I used to use Emacs (>10 years ago).

On my TODO list: a new README.md, plus a CONTRIBUTING.md (suggested by Glenn). Also for Fortran, which is almost as out-of-date.

1 Like