I was having a look at the build page and, while it’s still a small sample size (~25), the concept exercise exercism-matrix seems to have quite a low percentage of completions (64.3%) and a high average number of submissions (10.4). Maybe this is indicating that it’s a bit too difficult?
We’re looking for anyone who has completed it to provide some feedback on their experience to help us make it better. Currently, we are floating improving the docs (hints/instructions), but wouldn’t rule out demoting it to a practice exercise and coming up with a new concept exercise.
I wouldn’t be put off by 10 submissions on average. There are 5 tasks after all. When I’m working online, I’ll submit after each task, and if I get it wrong, well there’s your multiple submissions per task.
The sticker wall function is pretty tricky, but more in an “arithmetic with indices” kind of way.
But I found the concept docs well written and provided sufficient breadcrumbs to solve the exercise (like sum with dims, and each row). I did even get a chance to use a “broadcast pipe”
Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the number of tasks in this way.
I agree with this and I do get the feeling that it is a bit overkill for inclusion in a concept exercise when the main aim is just to practice concatenation. I think it’ll be good to consider dropping the requirement for the ones separating the matrices to streamline that task.
We made a couple small changes based on your comments, but they are nothing too major. The main thing was to make Task 3 less complicated, while still retaining its essence.