Exercism Stories: Don't be too Productive, with Franziska

:sound: In this Community Story, Franziska and I chat about team dynamics, how different people in a business approach collaboration and about how to position yourself in a way to learn to become a programmer.

Franziska lives in Germany and has a full-remote position as a Senior Software Engineer at Atlassian (the company behind Jira, Confluence and Trello). She works on Go services for a new product called “Jira Product Discovery”.

Franziska spends her free time with her husband and daughter and helps out on Exercism as a maintainer for the Go and JavaScript track (username junedev). Because of her passion for teaching, she put a lot of effort into creating and improving the syllabus for those tracks.

Show note links:

Atlassian
Franziska’s Exercism Profile

You can listen to my interview with her on all major streaming platforms:

:arrow_right: Youtube
:arrow_right: Apple
:arrow_right: Spotify

Please Subscribe, Follow and Like to receive the latest episode.

Email jonathan@exercism.org if you would like to feature Exercism Stories

3 Likes

This is such a great conversation! I knew it was going to be good because Franziska has such great input each week on the community calls, and is a cornerstone of the realization of the community’s vision. But it even exceeded my expectations, because I’d never actually gotten to hear her speak unconstrained by the format of the meeting.

I could listen to this for days, it has such a natural flow and I laughed out loud quite a lot :laughing: You touched upon so many great topics and offered such practical, well-measured advice. Thanks a lot :smiley:

PS Between this and Gabriel’s episode, I’m starting to get very intrigued about the Go language. It had previously been rather low on my list of languages to learn, but I particularly like how it is focused on simplicity, preferring “boring” code over “clever” code. I found it especially relevant in light of the current situation at Twitter, with Elon reaching out to hire engineers by calling for them to present their “most salient lines of code”… seems like according to the Go philosophy, this would be a great way to create a lot of extremely difficult-to-maintain code! Could be a questionable strategy, but what do I know, I’m not a billionaire genius…

I have some thoughts on the discussion around frameworks, but that will have to be for another time :wink: I’ll just say that I agree that the state of frontend dev is a mess and I try to avoid the popular choices at all costs… but there is a better way. Much more sensible paths exist, and if I can manage to have fun making webapps…

This will be a tough one to follow :sweat_smile:

3 Likes