`exercism submit` failing on Windows

Both my Win11 machines have started giving the error “The exercise you are submitting doesn’t have the necessary metadata”. This happens for all language tracks I’ve tried and both v3.0.13 and 3.1.0 CLI. It was working OK recently on these machines and exercism configure results still look right.

I don’t have any problems from my Linux box, so at least I have a workaround for most tracks.

Is this problem at your end, or something I’ve messed up?

The CLI may have been updated. You could try (1) saving your work, (2) re-downloading the exercise (it may require the --force flag), (3) restore your work. and (4) submitting again. See if that does the trick.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just managed to submit a freshly-downloaded exercise, so it was apparently a version incompatibility between the exercise and the CLI.

Maybe there’s also an important lesson here about NOT moving incomplete exercises between OS’s, something I probably do too often.

You should be able to “move” iterations between systems by doing an exercism submit on one system then exercism download on the other.

1 Like