F# cli test harness demands obsolete dotnet version

% uname -a
Linux kripke 6.2.0-33-generic #33~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 7 10:33:52 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
When you do for example
exercism download --track=fsharp --exercise=ocr-numbers
the test framework that arrives demands dotnet 5.0.
However, according to Microsoft, 5.0 passed end-of-service nearly two years ago, and the only versions of dotnet that Microsoft recommend using are 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0, with 8.0 being the current release.

I have 6.0 and 7.0, because 8.0 is not in the Ubuntu 22.04 repository. I’d be willing to install 8.0 manually if I have to, but I would much rather not downgrade to an out-of-service version.

End of support for 6.0 and 7.0 is this year, according to .NET and .NET Core official support policy , so it would make sense for the Exercism F# team to move straight to 8.0 .

1 Like

The exercise is pinned to .NET 7.0: https://github.com/exercism/fsharp/blob/main/exercises/practice/ocr-numbers/OcrNumbers.fsproj

You should probably be seeing a “Update to latest version” message somewhere on the exercise page.

I am staring at OCR Numbers in F# on Exercism and there is no such “update to latest version” text anywhere in that page or its parent or grandparent, not that I or the browser can discover,

‘exercism’ itself comes from August last year.