Faster compile times for online test runner

The Pyret team added an experimental TypeScript compiler in TypeScript compiler implementation and related test infrastructure · brownplt/pyret-lang@26a3079 · GitHub. Once Update test runner to `pyret-npm` 0.1.26 by BNAndras · Pull Request #84 · exercism/pyret-test-runner · GitHub is merged, the online test runner will be much faster at compiling the code. This won’t affect the run-time performance of students’ solutions, but the faster compile time will benefit exercises with larger test suites.

Allergies for example takes 7 seconds to compile before running your solution, but now it only takes 2 seconds. Shorter test suites like Reverse String compile in less than a second rather than two seconds. Since the test runner gets 20 seconds start to finish to compile and run your code, this will help across the board.

3 Likes

PRs merged.

Speed is a feature. The student experience is transformed. :slight_smile:

With a few test runners I generated support for interface version 3, to allow concept exercises. An an experiment, I generated an equivalent update for Pyret.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take a look. https://dcic-world.org/ more or less is the Pyret syllabus so I don’t know how much I can compete with it. :slight_smile: