"Finished with the exercise?" concepts & exercises unlock text is often incorrect

Under the “Finished with the exercise?” header on exercise pages, the “By marking this exercise as complete, you’ll unlock <concepts and/or exercises>” text is often wrong.

For example, on the Python track, it says that I will unlock concepts (such as Enums or None) that do not exist on the concepts page. Example below:

By marking Chaitana’s Colossal Coaster as complete, you’ll unlock 2 concepts (None and Loops) and 70 new exercises.

Also, the number of unlocked concepts and exercises often seems to be wrong. However, the pop-up that appears after I actually mark the exercise as complete seems to have the correct ones.

Example below (sorry, just screenshots, I forgot to copy the text):

None in Python on Exercism and Enums in Python on Exercism both exist but they don’t have an associated learning exercise. The learning tab you linked to shows concepts that have associated learning exercises so they won’t show up there. Finishing an unlocked learning exercise completes the associated concepts and depending on where you are in the syllabus, unlock additional learning exercises.

If you’re in learning mode, practice exercises are made available as you proceed through the syllabus. Practice exercises can be solved multiple ways by design but can be marked as commonly practicing one or two concepts. Likely Chaitana is linked to a concept shared by many of those exercises so solving the concept may unlock them if the other prerequisites are met.

I see. I didn’t know that there were concepts that don’t show up on the concepts page.

The second behavior (the number of unlocked exercises differing) is definitely a bug, though.

They’re showing two different things so perhaps that might be made more clear.

The first screenshot shows 102 exercises that might be unlockable by completing “Card Games”. However, they may have other prerequisites that haven’t been satisfied yet. The second screenshot shows the exercises that are now unlocked because you meet all the prerequisites.

Hmm… That sounds reasonable, but the text very explicitly states “By marking <exercise> as complete you’ll unlock <items…>”. I suppose it’s an issue of the text being wrong then? Nothing in the text seems to indicate that other requirements are needed.

2 Likes

Yeah it can be worded better.