For Guardians: Dependabot PRs

Following up on the recent discussion regarding Dependabot PRs, I wanted to open a thread here on the forums.

Context:

• Maintained Repos: Guardians approve, maintainers merge.
  • Unmaintained Repos: Guardians approve, cross-track maintainers merge.
  • Ambiguity: Confusion arises when the same person (or group) is both the guardian and the cross-track-maintainer on unmaintained repos.

Proposed Solution:

To address the ambiguity, it has been suggested that each PR in unmaintained repositories should include a comment like:

“This is an unmaintained repository. Cross-track maintainers - feel free to merge.”

This would make it clearer whether it’s an unmaintained repository, avoiding the need to cross-reference lists.

Next Steps:

Erik is on holiday, but it would be great to collaborate on a solution to batch-add this comment to all relevant PRs.

1 Like

(I’ll tag @ErikSchierboom in this so he doesn’t miss it :))

Could this be a comment after the existing automated "Hello 👋 Thanks for your PR. This repo does not currently have dedicated maintainers." comment?

I think that would work.

I’ve created Add comment for cross-track maintainers for unmaintained repos by ErikSchierboom · Pull Request #196 · exercism/github-actions · GitHub. If someone could temporarily change .github/workflows/ping-cross-track-maintainers-team.yml to use

uses: exercism/github-actions/.github/workflows/ping-cross-track-maintainers-team.yml@unmaintained-repo-comment

instead of

uses: exercism/github-actions/.github/workflows/ping-cross-track-maintainers-team.yml@main

Once this change is in main, could you then open some PRs to see if everything works as expected?

1 Like