Hello, I’m a beginner to exercism. I was attempting the first exercise through CLI, not on the editor, and wasn’t able to submit the solution.
What I did was I downloaded the first exercise, edited the ‘hello_world.c’ C file by changing only the string, "Hello, World’, to "Hello, World!'. Next, I entered the command, ‘exercism test ’, to check if it is correct or not (FYI, I was writing this according to the HELP.md file) and that was when the program said, “the system cannot find the path specified”.
Errors are varied. At first, when I was using a simple text document, where I copy pasted the code from the test file, “hello_world.c” (which is in the image below this message, I just made one change to the string which I explained in this message) in it, I got a “The syntax of the command is incorrect”. It took me a bit before I thought that it might had something to do with the ‘#include “hello_world.h”’ not being included in my program, so I deleted the text file and used the two ready made test files, which were the ‘hello_world.c’ and that ‘hello_world.h’.
Again, when I simply changed the string from, “Hello, World.” to “Hello, World!”, expecting that a message saying the solution was correct was going to show, the prompt instead tells me the system couldn’t find the file specified.
Exercism exercises work by having tests that call functions you define. You don’t need to print Hello, World! yourself, instead a function the tests call should return the value the tests expect. In some exercises you may also need to define some data structure, or do other things. You need to check the test file to see what is expected of you.
Also, the test file already has a main, you shouldn’t write one yourself.