Incomplete instructions for Connect Game exercise

The tests for this exercise make mention of “illegal diagonals” and “crossing adjacent angles”. I do not know what is meant by these. And I can find no mention of these phrases in the instructions.

Please help!

Those aren’t defined terms in the instructions and aren’t terms you need to understand. They are arbitrary names used for the tests. If the tests fail, look at the input and expected output. Don’t worry about the test name.

I think it would be a good idea to swap out the text representation of the grid for a SVG that can properly show the hexagon grid and indicate how adjacency is by shared edge. The skewed text grid in the instructions was confusing until I drew by hand my own hexagon grid.

1 Like

Want to propose a problem spec change with an image?

I think we could use three SVGs showing the interlocking hexagonal cells of the grid.

One can show

X X
 X .

as a mini-grid to show how the three Xs are connected. Then we can contrast that with an image where Xs look connected but aren’t:

X .
 . X

Then we can show the existing example as a SVG since it highlights that you can’t win by going the wrong direction. We might want to draw attention to that path by shading in the appropriate cells just a little.

At that point, I don’t think we need another graphic. We showed the student the shape of the grid, how cell adjacency works, and how a winning path must be the right direction. Extra stuff would dilute the effectiveness since I think the students can infer other bits

1 Like