Issue on instructions in BirdWatcher

Hello, good day.
Instructions: BirdWatcher

There’s been an ongoing discussion here about it.

I am proposing that: where it is stated to implement a function “that accepts an array” is “quite misleading”, in the words of @IsaacG, as the functions don’t receive arrays but an array-like object, thanks to @IsaacG for pointing it out. I am making a request to open a PR on this matter; i.e to change the wording from “that accepts an array” to “that accepts an array-like object” or as @SleeplessByte has noted “that accepts a list that contains the bird count per day.”

Although, I think using the word list may cause people to try to convert whatever is passed to lists (emulating the implementation using collections or object), something much more complex, seeing that lists don’t exist in JS (Correct me if I’m wrong) the same way it is, in Python.

Perhaps a caution should be noted in that instruction generally on this matter.
What do you think?

Arrays in JavaScript are actually lists in most other languages that support lists.

I proposed list not because of the data type but rather to indicate its “a list of things” (which it is).

I am fine with array-like as well. Not really married to the description!

Alright, thanks for clarifying.
I will now open a PR for the change to array-like object, seeing that it is much more specific than array .

What do you think?

@SleeplessByte is a JavaScript maintainer. If he says he’ll accept a change, you can make a PR matching what he indicated.

2 Likes

T for Thanks @IsaacG

I have just created a PR on this here. Thanks.

Your PR has been merged. If you link (or have linked) your GitHub Account in your Exercism profile, you should receive some reputation for your contribution shortly.

Thank you for investing the time and effort to improve Exercism!

2 Likes

Yayyy!!
Don’t thank me @SleeplessByte , I have a covenant with Open Source. It’s a duty at this point.
Let’s meet again in the next PR.

1 Like