Mentoring Help Needed

Hi,

I enjoy mentoring the javascript algorithms. It teaches me a lot and I like to explain and help out. But, there are a lot of people waiting in the javascript queue and there’s a number of exercises I haven’t solved yet. The ones I find really diffuclt are :

  1. Promises
  2. Yacht (just downloaded that)
  3. Conway’s game of Life
  4. Grep
  5. Rail Fence Cipher
  6. Roman Numerals

I think I can handle the rest but I haven’t solved these 6 yet. I’m not at all a professional so it takes me some time to solve an exercise and then mentor it. I recently solved camicia and without my own solution, mentoring the submitted version would have been really very difficult. Now it was just difficult but quite rewarding.

So could someone help out with the six above and I’ll be happy to deal with the others. Some people have been waiting for a month.

Thanks and greets,
Karin

1 Like

What do you want specifically? Hints?

No, it may take me a lot or very little time, but I am solving those algorithms.
This is about mentoring. I don’t want to be reviewing all those submitted algorithms on my own. I have the distinct feeling there’s just nobody else out there mentoring javascript algorithms. I can pick all the ones I’ve solved already and feel good about that but it somehow annoys me that there are people who have been waiting for over a month for a review.
I just finished ‘yacht’. Wasn’t that hard but I am not a professional, I review code that is way more sophisticated than the stuff I write. So, I need to look at that code closely and if I haven’t solved it, understood it, I don’t see the point of reviewing that code.
So, is there somebody out there who can help mentoring this long list of submissions by solving the ones I’ve listed?
Thanks and greets,
Karin

JavaScript is one of the most popular languages. There are usually many requests for mentorship and also many mentors available.

But the truth is that all mentoring, maintaining, etc. here is voluntary. People do it in their free time, if they are interested and think they can contribute somehow.

It’s usually much more likely that an easy exercise will be picked up by a mentor first, both because reviewing it takes less time and because the pool of people who feel they know enough to contribute is larger.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, in the last 30 days the Javascript had 45 solutions mentored by 13 mentors. You’re not alone.

2 Likes

I appreciate mentoring very much. It has taught me quite a lot, that combined with community solutions and mentoring myself which forces me to really examine the code closely.
It’s a beautiful format and I sent the message out of concern, I did not mean to criticize. The guy who submitted ‘promises’ will have to wait, I still struggle with promises, ‘yacht’ is going to get a review from me, I can handle that.

Thank you exercism for existing.

Karin

2 Likes