Hey there, I’m excited, I became a mentor some moments ago, excited for the journey ahead. So I started mentoring someone and I noticed the dashboard is different on the mentoring side, great, great.
However, I noticed that I cannot edit the code and run to test my suggestions, which are not really my “suggestions” so to speak but as it was stated, guidance to the solution.
It’d be great to be able to edit and run code right during mentoring for both the mentor and mentee.
As mentee, I’ve had to exit discussion and “Open in editor” and see the feedback in order to be able to test code, and then exit again to “Discussion”, it seems like a lot of work for both sides. What do you think?
Using the exercism CLI, you can download exercise solutions from other prople using the UUID (use -u [UUID]). The UUID can be found at the end of the URL in the mentoring screen. You can edit and test locally.
Thanks, Lohr. Good to see you here. I know about the CLI path, however I was suggesting if there could be a feature on the site itself to do this. I will do as you have said next time. Thank you. :)
Generally as a mentor, you don’t want to edit the code that the mentees have written and just tell them “Here’s how it’s done.”
You want to guide the mentee with suggestions and explanations so that they reach the desired solution. This way both parties get much more out of the interaction.
If the mentee would like to get the “correct” solution straight, they can just see the community solutions and bypass the mentoring, so why bother.
EDIT: If your mentee submits a new solution, you can see the test results of that submission, but you can’t edit and run a solution by yourself
Hey CK, thanks for your input.
Perhaps my intent wasn’t communicated well, I don’t mean to edit the code for the mentee , I wouldn’t conceive that in me big brain. The editing of code would be for the mentor, like whatever editing the mentor does is only for the mentor on that mentor side, and the running also takes place there; think of it like a temporary instance.