Minor grammar tweak1

Exercise: Captains-log
Observation: Part of the text reads

When it rendezvous with another starship, Mary needs to log the registry number of that starship.

I think it should be “When it rendezvouses with another starship”, because “rendezvous” as a verb conjugates to rendezvouses in English.

The word “rendezvous” can be a noun or a verb.

  • As a noun:

“They had a rendezvous at the docking bay.”
:white_check_mark: (Means “a meeting.”)

  • As a verb:

“The Enterprise will rendezvous with the Excelsior at 1800 hours.”
(Means “to meet or come together.”)

When used as a verb, it follows normal English conjugation rules, even though it’s borrowed from French.

So:

Tense Example
Base form They rendezvous at the station.
Third-person singular It rendezvouses at the station. :white_check_mark:
Past tense They rendezvoused yesterday.
Present participle They are rendezvousing right now.

What do you think?

This link may help.

An alternative might be to swap out the verb. I’ve only used rendezvous a few times, always as a noun. Something like When it meets another starship, Mary needs to log the registry number of that starship. still gets the idea across.

1 Like

Great idea.
I think that makes sense too.
If I get the go ahead, I’ll PR this one.

You’d want to wait for a Javascript maintainer to ask for a PR first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh that conjugation just rubs me wrong XD, but that may be because I speak that language as well…

Err, I am in favour of using another verb. You can PR it.

1 Like

A PR has been made. Thanks.

1 Like

Merged!

@SleeplessByte just to confirm that I’m on the right page, this isn’t an exercise from problem-specs, right?

2 Likes

Thanks C.K

@Cool-Katt The file path exercises/concept/captains-log/.docs/instructions.md contains concept, so it is not from problem spec. OK, it may be, as it is not forbidden to use problem spec exercises for concepts, but that’s very very uncommon…

1 Like

I somehow completely missed this… Gotta get my head refreshed

Haha no worries.

Yes this was indeed a concept exercise which can purposefully diverge from any spec.

Thanks all!