Proposal to Improve Exercise Challenge by Limiting Solution Access

Hi Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to bring up a concern regarding the accessibility of solutions on Exercism. It seems that users can access the solutions directly through their URLs without having to submit their own attempts at the exercises.

I believe this could discourage some learners from fully engaging with the problems and finding their own solutions, as it may lead to relying on the provided answers rather than working through challenges.

Encouraging users to truly engage with the material is essential for effective learning. Perhaps there could be a way to restrict access to solutions until an exercise is submitted.

Thank you for considering this feedback!

Best regards,
CHIRAG

Students can also log out to view solutions or search GitHub for solution repositories. Exercism isn’t designed to test/evaluate coding skills. If students want to look up existing solutions, it’s pretty easy to do so. They can even copy paste existing solutions.

By and large, students get as much value out of Exercism as the effort they put in. If they want to cheat themselves out of the learning experience, that’s their prerogative. Exercism doesn’t attempt to police that.

5 Likes