Protein Translation exercise in Rust: HashMap is no longer a concept

I completed the Protein Translation exercise yesterday, and a message popped up saying that I had learned the HashMap concept.

This exercise has been reworked recently, and a HashMap is no longer relevant to the solution, so this message should be removed to avoid confusion.

Thanks, as always, to the maintainers for all the great work!

Thanks for the report.

The syllabus is currently deactivated for the Rust track, so I think it’s a bug that this pop-up is generated at all? @ErikSchierboom

If there is a renewed effort for the syllabus, the mapping between concepts and practice exercise probably has to be redone completely anyway. So I’d rather avoid the pointless work to maintain this mapping for the deactivated syllabus.

The “you’ve learned a new concept” messages are definitely not deactivated on the Rust track. I’ve been working my way through the Rust exercises for a few months now, and I’ve seen a number of such pop-ups.

I hope the Rust syllabus can be completed someday. I just worked through my first “Learning Mode” on Exercism (on the JavaScript track), and it was a fantastic experience.

That sounds like a bug. I’ll look into it

1 Like

Could you try this on another exercise? One that you haven’t yet started. And are you using the online editor or the CLI?

I’m using the CLI (you know what they say about Vim: it’s so good that once you start it, you won’t be able to quit). I’d be happy to try it out on another exercise, but I’m 75% through the Rust track, and I don’t know which of the remaining exercises have learning concepts attached to them.

You can check that here: rust/config.json at main · exercism/rust · GitHub

OK. I checked rust/config.json as you suggested, and found an exercise that I hadn’t yet attempted that also had a non-empty practices array: Atbash Cipher.

I did the exercise (via the CLI, as usual) and then clicked the “Complete” button. And then I still got a pop-up window showing the concepts I’d practised:

Thanks! I’ll check it out.