The Python track’s online editor has a nice autocomplete feature, which is very useful! However, it makes it annoying to type break and continue statements, as it tries to autocomplete them to incorrect things:
- If I try to type a
break and then a line break, the break gets replaced with a breakpoint.
- If I try to type a
continue and then a line break, the continue gets replaced with a ConnectionRefusedError.
- Some other keywords (like
match and pass) are also missing, but that is not really a problem, as there aren’t any incorrect autocomplete entries for those. (At least for all the ones that I tried.)
Hi @Yrahcaz7 
AFAK, the online editor uses codemirror 6 language definitions for syntax highlighting and auto-fill within the editor.
We might be able to get the auto-fill to work if we modify the Python language def for codemirror 6 or provide an override, but It’s not clear (to me) how easy that would be to update and then get loaded into the website defs.
I need to warn you that I am entirely unfamiliar with both codemirror 6 and making changes to language definitions for the website. This is likely a job for the Exercism staff - who are very very busy at the moment - so this might not get fixed any time soon.
1 Like
Our community’s CodeMirror 6 experience is pretty limited I believe. Bobbi was looking into additional features beyond syntax highlighting for the Clojure track a few years back, but that’s about it. Given that, I’m not sure whether this is something maintainers should tackle given the time commitment relative to the general benefit. My feeling is that the online editor is meant to be serviceable for most people starting out, but at some point a local environment will just be more comfortable. Working locally, you can tweak that setup to exactly what you need, and that knowledge would transfer to other stuff.
3 Likes