This might be more of a philosophical question, as I am not sure how much it’s expected of the students here to be digging through the test cases to figure out solutions…but.
In the Red vs Blue Darwin style C# track task, when being introduced to namespaces basically…there is a task to combine 2 namespaces into one, and use the “Combined” term for describing both of them.
However there isn’t a single mention of this anywhere in the exercise text. I’ve attempted using different terms, but the tests only apply for “combined”. If I didn’t go into the test code in Vscode to check what am I supposed to be doing, I would still be grinding my gears about the exact task at hand here.
I am writing this as a programmer somewhere between a beginner - intermediate level I believe. I can see how this could be an issue for others of a similar skill level to mine.
3 Likes
Thank bajeesus and thank you for posting about this. It’s still an issue and if you’re working from the Editor like I was, you don’t even have access to the test code. Without creating the “Combined” namespace, the solution won’t even compile, so there’s no way to figure out what’s wrong.
1 Like
Is there by chance a banner on the exercise page to update the exercise?
The current starting stub does compile for me, and the tests fail as expected. The test runner should be reporting the test run and the failure (see below) so if you’re seeing something else, that’s probably noteworthy.
Code Run
var carBuilderType = Type.GetType("Combined.CarBuilder");
Assert.NotNull(carBuilderType);
Test Failure
Assert.NotNull() Failure: Value is null
I didn’t try to compile it before doing anything. I implemented what the instructions said to implement and then tried to test it, but it wouldn’t compile because I hadn’t implemented the “Combined” namespace because that was not mentioned in the instructions.
1 Like
Right. That name isn’t surfaced in the instructions or even the hints so you only see it after you fail the first test. The tests for Task 1 build upon one another so if you get to that first test failed, you can iterate from there.
I’m not the C# maintainer, but I think mentioning the name of the Combined namespace in the Task 1 instructions would be helpful. Would you agree? Or did you have something else in mind for the maintainer to consider?