Requesting rust-docker-base repository

The Rust track currently has two very large docker images. The test runner and analyzer both contain a full Rust toolchain, which is around 1GB in size. It just occurred to me that we might be able to cut this in half by sharing a base image. (At least I think that’s how it works…)

In that case, it might be a good idea to create a repository exercism/rust-docker-base, similar to how Nim does it.

1 Like

I have prepared everything on a branch in the rust-test-runner repo:

I confirmed both the test-runner and analyzer work by using this as a base image. So, I’m pretty much ready to go, just need the repo :slight_smile:

@ErikSchierboom can you have a look.

I’m not entirely sure using a base image helps here. It might, but if the two Docker images use the same instructions within their Dockerfiles to setup the Dockerfile, they will share those layers anyway. It’s only the resulting Docker image size that we really care about IIRC.

That makes sense. I’ll open PRs for the test-runner and analyzer then, to make sure they share as much as possible.

PRs for reference:

1 Like