Run Exercism Website in local

Hi, first of all, thank you to Exercism for making this open-source. I’m running Exercism locally for study purposes and encountered an issue I don’t fully understand. How does the website repo communicate with the tooling orchestrator, and how does the tooling invoker trigger the test runner tool? I’ve watched a YouTube video explaining the architecture, but it seems more AWS-focused rather than local. Apologies for the confusion, as I’m still gaining experience. Thanks

Exercism is built to run on the cloud. I’m not sure if anyone has run it all locally and there’s no docs about how to do it. Nor are there any plans, as far as I understand it, to document how to run Exercism yourself.

2 Likes

If you’re running Exercism to learn how it works, then you should be able to clone all the repos (website, tooling invoker, tooling orchestrator), and follow the readmes in each (generally run bin/dev) and it should all just work (that’s what I do each morning and it works for me).

However, this won’t be a good solution (or rather a solution at all) to actually have a usable version of Exercism for some production purpose. For that, you need to run it in the cloud, and probably specifically AWS (it’ll be tooooons of work to move it onto something else). Our terraform has all the details for that - but be warned, it’s not small :slight_smile:

1 Like