[Rust protein-translation] Switching protein names to lowecase in instructions to match the tests

In the tests all protein names are in lowercase but the description capitalizes the first letter. So I propose modifying the instructions to match the tests.
This is my first time contributing and tried to created a pull request directly but it was auto-closed, so I am starting this thread for some discussion.

Here is the PR: Switching protein names to lowercase in instructions to match the tests by hjmmm · Pull Request #1945 · exercism/rust · GitHub

Seems reasonable to me and in line with the resistor change.

The canonical data for this exercise shows each name with an initial capital letter, so I think this might be a scenario where the Rust track deviates from problem-specifications with the test data.

I know for the Python track (which pulls canonical data unaltered), all the tests have the protein names with an initial capital letter. Changing the tests to lowercase would invalidate ~5,637 solutions just for Python.

2 Likes

Woops. I didn’t realize the canonical data uses capitalized letters. In that case, we certainly wouldn’t want to change that. If the rust test data is not aligned with the canonical data, that puts things in a tricky spot for that track.

We recently completely rewrote the exercise, because the previous design was confusing. We conciously broke all existing solutions. I think we can simply bring the tests in line with canonical data, there shouldn’t be too many new solutions we’re breaking.

PR

3 Likes

Thanks guys, nice to see this fixed so quickly!